Something Intresting

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Topic author
angelbear

Something Intresting

Post by angelbear » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:04 am

So I dont know what you guys do with your shells, but I thought I would share somethingng I have been doing that seems to garner more intrest in my crabs at least.

So despite popular device I do not actually leave my shells in the enclosure all day every day. My thoughts on this is in the wild thet are very unlikly to find a large catch of shells every day. So I usually remove them on Sunday morning and put out a new selection on Friday night's. Doing this has garnered more intrest and actual looking at and trying on shells than before. I also like to scatter them in slightly different places.

So I am curious on your guys thoughts. So far I haven't had any issues with them trying to steal anyones shell either, I have been doing this only about three weeks so far. I plan on continuing it until I noticr any issues or lack of any.

Just curious how do you handle your shells? What else do you do for crabby enrichment? Since I have been dling this I have noticed a increase in activity and exploring as well at all times of day.
Hi, I have been crabbing about 7 now, and these guys have put up alot with my growing pains.
Proud mama of 2 shell babies:
1 e, and 1pp

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Something Intresting

Post by curlysister » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:16 am

How many crabs do you have, and are they similar sizes?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
angelbear

Post by angelbear » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:21 pm

I only have 4.
2 are small
1 are between small and medium
1 is medium.

Like I said I have been watching closely but havent seen shell aggression by not having them in there all the time. But more intrest and activity when into put them in for thre shorter period. I was going to monitor and see if this was something plausiable over the course of several weeks. Obviously if I start seeing sigbs of aggression or what not i would add them back in all the time. Thisbos just a form of enrichment I am trying and wabted some thoughts.
Hi, I have been crabbing about 7 now, and these guys have put up alot with my growing pains.
1 e, and 1pp

RiNiKy506

Something Intresting

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:36 pm

Some people to swap out their shells, I don’t think anyone completely takes them out but I like to swap them out to keep them “new” and fresh for them. It’s a little harder now that I have most of my crabs in my big tank. I think it would give them some enrichment, I see what your saying about them not having a bunch of shells readily available in the wild. I don’t want to tell everyone to go taking their shells out but what your doing to study and see what they’re doing, in my opinion, I think is cool. As long as your keeping a close eye on them and not depriving them of shells. ;)

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:05 pm

Agreeing with Riniky! It's cool how you thought of that idea! Just make sure they can always change if they absolutely need to. And Riniky-- I love your avatar, never got to tell you that! Such great photography! <3 I love straws- that's the cutest one I've ever seen!
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

Topic author
angelbear

Post by angelbear » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:29 pm

I dont mind keeping you guys posted if you are generally intrested. I have a camera set up to moniter behavior when I am not present. it's really high tech you ready. You take a old cellphone aim and hit record. Okay bot the best camera but it works.

And yes in the selection I give, I give 1 smaller same size and biggee shell choice for each crab.

I am trying this and trying to think if a few other enrichment type things as well, but one thing at a time.

So far as I have said I have noticed a increase in day and night time activity and more intrest in shells and trying them on.
1 e, and 1pp

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:43 pm

angelbear wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:29 pm
I dont mind keeping you guys posted if you are generally intrested. I have a camera set up to moniter behavior when I am not present. it's really high tech you ready. You take a old cellphone aim and hit record. Okay bot the best camera but it works.

And yes in the selection I give, I give 1 smaller same size and biggee shell choice for each crab.

I am trying this and trying to think if a few other enrichment type things as well, but one thing at a time.

So far as I have said I have noticed a increase in day and night time activity and more intrest in shells and trying them on.
It would be awesome if you kept us posted, I think!
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

Topic author
angelbear

Post by angelbear » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:47 pm

Alright well I'll keep it set up probably on a week by week basis Friday night Sunday Morning kind of a thing. I figure a good three months or 12 weeks should give me a decent feel on how they will respond.

Right now - Week 1. I didnt really observe any change
Week 2 - they became more intrested in the shells
Week 3 - more activity in tank day and night. Increased intrest in shells activly checking them out and trying them on when they do find one they like.
1 e, and 1pp

Topic author
angelbear

Post by angelbear » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:48 pm

Of course I want your guys opinions as well.
1 e, and 1pp

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:48 pm

Crabby7Crabber wrote:Agreeing with Riniky! It's cool how you thought of that idea! Just make sure they can always change if they absolutely need to. And Riniky-- I love your avatar, never got to tell you that! Such great photography! <3 I love straws- that's the cutest one I've ever seen!
Aww thank you! That is my Lessie, she is always doing something, I like to thinks he’s posing for me all the time. Lol!

angelbear wrote:I dont mind keeping you guys posted if you are generally intrested. I have a camera set up to moniter behavior when I am not present. it's really high tech you ready. You take a old cellphone aim and hit record. Okay bot the best camera but it works.

I’d love to continue reading your updates.

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:02 pm

RiNiKy506 wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:48 pm
Aww thank you! That is my Lessie, she is always doing something, I like to thinks he’s posing for me all the time. Lol!
He's a great model, not going to lie! :)

Topic author
angelbear

Post by angelbear » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:15 pm

What I am hoping and intrested in would be after the three month period trial is some of the other intrested members try it and see what the results would be. If they would be simmilar or diffrent or if the amount of crabs make a difference. Those are all good questions to answer. But one step at a time.

Of course you could start now, but I would hate to run into trouble long run and don't mind using these 4 as pioneers.
1 e, and 1pp

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:56 pm

I'm more extreme with my Ruggie, but her being the only one makes the idea a lot safer. I offer her a few shells now and then, and while she checks them out and even tries a few on, for four years she's gone back to the same shell every time.

My PPs haven't changed in years either, even though they have constant options available. Once they took a shell at 1 & 1/8 or 1 & 1/16, they stopped looking.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
angelbear

Post by angelbear » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:14 pm

I know not all crabs need to always change there shell, the fact thet havent could very well be they are comfrotable or there is surplus so they do not worry about it. It is something intresting to think on.

Though i do agree a singleton would be the best to try it with, a small colony is as well. So wencan get feedback on a varriety of situations.

Sent from my LML414DL using Tapatalk

1 e, and 1pp

Topic author
angelbear

Post by angelbear » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:30 am

Mid week check. Despite not having shells in the tank for most of week, all four are acting normal from what I can tell. They come out and eat, prowl around the tank, or hide if I come up on them to fast and startle them. One of my pp a small one has been doing some digging lately so I think they might go down for a molt.
Oh and check out this article I found it is sort of intresting.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... -networks/

It suggest that why shell fights do occur that crabs have been known to also work together so that everyone has a chance for upgrade. I will be doing some more looling as intry this out so of anyone else has resources they would like to share I would be willing to see them.

Sent from my LML414DL using Tapatalk

1 e, and 1pp