New Tank Purchase? Lid?? (substrate issues)

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

CrabbyLover77

Re: New Tank Purchase? Lid?? (substrate issues)

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:31 pm

Kydra wrote:I'll have to search as I've never heard of "That Pet Place" to see if ones around sometime. I'm pretty much overstocked on everything at the moment except for some playsand (home depot a mile down the road next to Petco).

I mentioned before in another thread that the 'reptile guy' at my local Petco does his own shows, sells his captive bred snakes, and basically called the Petco gig more a part time hobby. Still have to look him up and go to one of his shows. He was very knowledgeable on hermit crabs as well with both of us laughing at the sign "easy care" next to the crabs. Basically said he can only do so much for the animals he's in charge of at Petco because of store management/corporate nonsense.

Maybe you'll have better luck talking to those at That Pet Place though. Worth a try at the least. We're all aware basically everything labeled for hermit crabs at Petco is either completely useless or just harmful to them which sucks. Somehow ended up looking at pics on reddit and saw so many terrible setups with basically no substrate/not enough most common. I'm anxious enough to upgrade with having 2 molters now down in the 20G with one being a first molt. One's been down for a few months now and would really like for him to come up lol.

Anyway, going to take a ride there in a few hours or so. I usually end up in there forever just looking at everything, other animals, ya know. So would enjoy going to That Pet Place if it is that much larger than the typical Petco. I'll post back if I do end up purchasing a tank and a few things. If I do, will go to Home Depot as well. Going to go by the bag of sand for every 10G that was mentioned here as a guide for how much to buy.
Definitely check it out on the web when you can. I believe the only one is in Lancaster, PA. I think you're from NJ, so it would be quite a ride for you. They seem to have everything. Their website says the store is 88,000 sq ft. Image

The reptile guy sounds pretty cool. I don't know of anyone like that in my area. I agree, just because Petco says a pet is "easy care" doesn't mean it's true.

How did you make out at Petco? Get anything good?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My Pets: 2 Pomeranians, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 13 hermit crabs.
"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Topic author
Kydra

Post by Kydra » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:14 am

Motörcrab wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:48 pm
I wouldn't have any issues using it. Just inspect the sub for any mold or anything funky to be safe. It's always dry when packaged so it should be good. We usually have a bag of EE just in case sometimes sitting around for months and never had a problem.
Thank you! Looks good and dry as far as I can see. Will smell test it once opened, but planning on going with the standard 5:1 ratio moving forward. Thanks again. 😎

Topic author
Kydra

Post by Kydra » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:39 am

CrabbyLover77 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:31 pm
Definitely check it out on the web when you can. I believe the only one is in Lancaster, PA. I think you're from NJ, so it would be quite a ride for you. They seem to have everything. Their website says the store is 88,000 sq ft. Image

The reptile guy sounds pretty cool. I don't know of anyone like that in my area. I agree, just because Petco says a pet is "easy care" doesn't mean it's true.

How did you make out at Petco? Get anything good?

Yes, I am in South Jersey. My original crabs from Sea Isle from last August vacation. Crazy how things have changed since purchase and the care sheet they sold me on the boardwalk!

I do try to make a trip to Lancaster once a year or so. If that's the closest, I'll def check it out while there.

The reptile guy at my store is lightyears beyond the typical employees at Petco (no offense to anyone that may work there). He held a baby E for me and kinda just gave him to me... not trying to get the guy in trouble for doing what's right, but he had seen my setup via wyze and wanted to help the little guy so I obliged.

I'm at the limit in the 20G long esp with the E. I have two on their first molt. The E and another I adopted here from a mom who tried, but basically told her everything she bought (including water/saltwater/food/treats) was useless and ultimately harmful. Her daughter got this one from Ocean City.

As for Petco... I only ended up with some cuttlebone for now. My 2 that have molted went for it immediately after coming up. Got some good advice to wait on the two 1st molts and hope all goes well. So sad these guys just get scooped from the wild the way that they do.

I am still planning on upgrading soon. Have been checking out heaters online as recommended here; just hoping for the best for the molters. Looking like you were right and will go 55G. I've decided not to participate in the purchasing of wild caught crabs and will adopt if I want to moving forward once I'm upgraded.

Getting a few more bags of playsand tomorrow and might just grab a tank while on sale even if I do a makeshift lid and move them in as they (hopefully) come up. I do need the extra room and if I would like could adopt in the future. Just got some good advice not to rush and, as you wrote, if will be my final upgrade... to do it 100%.

Appreciate all the help. 😎

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:28 pm

CrabbyLover77 wrote:If you're going to upgrade one last time, I'd just go for the 55 gal. For some reason I had a harder time finding a top for my 40 gal breeder (no center brace) than I did for my 55 gal. I used my 40 gal for my tortoise and fish too. I just keep moving all my pets around from one tank to the next lol. Good luck! Image

It’s hard to not want to upgrade, every time I do, I still want to go bigger. I don’t know how much more I can go being at 120 gallon, it’ll be too expensive to go any bigger. Lol! I had a hard time finding my lid for my 40gallon without the center brace too. I had ordered mine online from That Pet Place. It did arrive all in one piece, I was scared bc a few of their reviews said they had arrived broken also. The lid for the 55, I got at a local pet store, it came with the two pieces and it fit mine perfectly. It was the marineland perfecto brand and then I saw that my stand still had the original stickers on it and the tank and stand are also marineland, so that ended up working out perfectly. Measure your tank and the lid before you purchase just to be sure, I asked the one store if I could open the lid and measure before I bought it and they let me. I’ve had some of the lids fit perfectly and others didn’t. The Aqueon brand seem to be a tiny bit bigger.
I also have an 11x35” ultratherm on the back of my 55 and an 11x17” on the side. I originally had an 11x47” on the back but I stole that to put on my 120. I did get another 11x47, I just need to put it on back on but it does heat very well with the 11x35” and 11x17”. I have the thermostat set at 84 and it does reach 84 so it’s definitely heating well. I think one of your posts you said you were unsure about insulating? I didn’t want to reply if I read that wrong.

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:41 pm

RiNiKy506 wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:28 pm
It’s hard to not want to upgrade, every time I do, I still want to go bigger. I don’t know how much more I can go being at 120 gallon, it’ll be too expensive to go any bigger. Lol! I had a hard time finding my lid for my 40gallon without the center brace too. I had ordered mine online from That Pet Place. It did arrive all in one piece, I was scared bc a few of their reviews said they had arrived broken also. The lid for the 55, I got at a local pet store, it came with the two pieces and it fit mine perfectly. It was the marineland perfecto brand and then I saw that my stand still had the original stickers on it and the tank and stand are also marineland, so that ended up working out perfectly. Measure your tank and the lid before you purchase just to be sure, I asked the one store if I could open the lid and measure before I bought it and they let me. I’ve had some of the lids fit perfectly and others didn’t. The Aqueon brand seem to be a tiny bit bigger.
I also have an 11x35” ultratherm on the back of my 55 and an 11x17” on the side. I originally had an 11x47” on the back but I stole that to put on my 120. I did get another 11x47, I just need to put it on back on but it does heat very well with the 11x35” and 11x17”. I have the thermostat set at 84 and it does reach 84 so it’s definitely heating well. I think one of your posts you said you were unsure about insulating? I didn’t want to reply if I read that wrong.
Ugh, tell me about it! The minute I got my 10g for Christmas I started wondering about when I would get a 29g! :lol:
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:44 am

Kydra wrote: Yes, I am in South Jersey. My original crabs from Sea Isle from last August vacation. Crazy how things have changed since purchase and the care sheet they sold me on the boardwalk!

I do try to make a trip to Lancaster once a year or so. If that's the closest, I'll def check it out while there.

The reptile guy at my store is lightyears beyond the typical employees at Petco (no offense to anyone that may work there). He held a baby E for me and kinda just gave him to me... not trying to get the guy in trouble for doing what's right, but he had seen my setup via wyze and wanted to help the little guy so I obliged.

I'm at the limit in the 20G long esp with the E. I have two on their first molt. The E and another I adopted here from a mom who tried, but basically told her everything she bought (including water/saltwater/food/treats) was useless and ultimately harmful. Her daughter got this one from Ocean City.

As for Petco... I only ended up with some cuttlebone for now. My 2 that have molted went for it immediately after coming up. Got some good advice to wait on the two 1st molts and hope all goes well. So sad these guys just get scooped from the wild the way that they do.

I am still planning on upgrading soon. Have been checking out heaters online as recommended here; just hoping for the best for the molters. Looking like you were right and will go 55G. I've decided not to participate in the purchasing of wild caught crabs and will adopt if I want to moving forward once I'm upgraded.

Getting a few more bags of playsand tomorrow and might just grab a tank while on sale even if I do a makeshift lid and move them in as they (hopefully) come up. I do need the extra room and if I would like could adopt in the future. Just got some good advice not to rush and, as you wrote, if will be my final upgrade... to do it 100%.

Appreciate all the help. Image
Hopefully you can make it to Lancaster this year too and check it out. Image

Aw, that's great the reptile guy made sure the little E was in good hands with you. Sometimes it's more important to do what's right than follow the rules. I'm sure your E will enjoy a bigger tank and more digging room. Image

Cuttlebone sounds like a good buy. I use it for my tortoise and crabs. My crabbies use to use it a lot until I started offering them calcium powder in a dish. Now I see my largest crab sitting in the powder dish all the time.

That's so great you're going to adopt from here on out. Once my crab Beau's buddy died in July, I decided the same thing. I was able to adopt three friends for my crab using this site. Now Beau and the one rescue, Kaulder, are best friends. The 2 smaller guys just do their own thing. Once I upgrade, I'll be able to adopt more too. I'd love to adopt a strawberry. They are so pretty.

I hope you can get a good deal on your tank and supplies. I got my 55 gal years back from a friend for free. And who can resist FREE?? Lol. Image

My Pets: 2 Pomeranians, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 13 hermit crabs.
"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:54 am

RiNiKy506 wrote: It’s hard to not want to upgrade, every time I do, I still want to go bigger. I don’t know how much more I can go being at 120 gallon, it’ll be too expensive to go any bigger. Lol! I had a hard time finding my lid for my 40gallon without the center brace too. I had ordered mine online from That Pet Place. It did arrive all in one piece, I was scared bc a few of their reviews said they had arrived broken also. The lid for the 55, I got at a local pet store, it came with the two pieces and it fit mine perfectly. It was the marineland perfecto brand and then I saw that my stand still had the original stickers on it and the tank and stand are also marineland, so that ended up working out perfectly. Measure your tank and the lid before you purchase just to be sure, I asked the one store if I could open the lid and measure before I bought it and they let me. I’ve had some of the lids fit perfectly and others didn’t. The Aqueon brand seem to be a tiny bit bigger.
120 gals, wow that's awesome! I'm definitely jealous! How many crabbies do you have?

I'm glad you got your 40 gal lid in one piece. When I asked That Pet Place to write "Fragile" on the replacement lid box they were shipping out, they wouldn't do it. The representative said that might make the carrier throw it around more. What??? When the second one showed up broken, I gave up. I didn't have time to go an hour to the actual store, so I had my local glass shop recreate the broken top instead. They did a great job. I did write a review on That Pet Place website so you might have read mine lol.Image

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:15 am

Here is a review of That Pet Place I wrote a while back with in store pictures. The stingray petting pool is awesome! viewtopic.php?f=8&t=117095&p=1070642&hi ... w#p1057320

Shipping is kind of like baggage handlers at airports. They have so many boxes to move they probably just grab and toss without looking. Possibly if it was something that needed to be shipped overnight the package may be taken better care of. Hence another reason we don't recommend shipping crabs.

We always say we are done up grading. HA! We are currently working on replacing our 30 and 20 for a 65!
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:56 am

Motörcrab wrote:Here is a review of That Pet Place I wrote a while back with in store pictures. The stingray petting pool is awesome! viewtopic.php?f=8&t=117095&p=1070642&hi ... w#p1057320

Shipping is kind of like baggage handlers at airports. They have so many boxes to move they probably just grab and toss without looking. Possibly if it was something that needed to be shipped overnight the package may be taken better care of. Hence another reason we don't recommend shipping crabs.

We always say we are done up grading. HA! We are currently working on replacing our 30 and 20 for a 65!
I love the stingray pool! Wouldn't that be awesome to have one of those in your house? Image

I asked TPP if they would ship out the second top via another carrier since I had bad experiences with Fed Ex, but they said that's who they use. Image When it showed up broken a second time I figured I'd give up. Fed Ex also broke a very large and expensive outdoor water fountain that I ordered a couple of years ago. I have a lot of frogs and toads that stop by my house, and figured they'd love it more than the little dish of shallow water I put out for them. I had to return it, and that company also didn't use anyone but Fed Ex to ship, so I told them to just refund me my money. Then I ordered candles from Yankee and one candle arrived shattered in the box. Luckily Amazon ships via UPS and USPS, and I never seem to have any broken merchandise via those carriers. Image

Have you ever had anything delivered via LaserShip? I had ordered 3 UVB bulbs for my tortoise from Chewy (about $60). I caught the delivery guy on my security cam chucking it from the middle of my driveway toward the porch. Image Thank goodness none of them broke!

Ok my rant about broken merchandise is over lol. Thanks for listening haha!!!

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:30 pm

CrabbyLover77 wrote:120 gals, wow that's awesome! I'm definitely jealous! How many crabbies do you have?

I'm glad you got your 40 gal lid in one piece. When I asked That Pet Place to write "Fragile" on the replacement lid box they were shipping out, they wouldn't do it. The representative said that might make the carrier throw it around more. What??? When the second one showed up broken, I gave up. I didn't have time to go an hour to the actual store, so I had my local glass shop recreate the broken top instead. They did a great job. I did write a review on That Pet Place website so you might have read mine lol.Image

That is crazy, the post office usually asks if it’s something fragile when you mail something so I’m sure if they would have just written fragile on it, it would have had a better chance. Did they at least give you your money back, since you never received the lid in one piece? I had great luck with them, it’s sad to see that you didn’t. I think it was your review! Lol! I had to take the chance bc I couldn’t find one anywhere else. The lid that came with the tank, when I got it, was the one for the 40gallon with the center brace so it had a gap in the middle. I don’t know how the previous owner used it like that, I had a piece of cardboard in the middle until I found the correct lid and it was a pain messing with that.
I have 22 crabs, 13 in my 120, 5 in my 55, and 4 captive bred babies in a 10gallon. I just started my 120 gallon on Jan 1, I combined three of my tanks, a 40gal, 29gal, and 20gal.

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:17 pm

RiNiKy506 wrote: That is crazy, the post office usually asks if it’s something fragile when you mail something so I’m sure if they would have just written fragile on it, it would have had a better chance. Did they at least give you your money back, since you never received the lid in one piece? I had great luck with them, it’s sad to see that you didn’t. I think it was your review! Lol! I had to take the chance bc I couldn’t find one anywhere else. The lid that came with the tank, when I got it, was the one for the 40gallon with the center brace so it had a gap in the middle. I don’t know how the previous owner used it like that, I had a piece of cardboard in the middle until I found the correct lid and it was a pain messing with that.
I have 22 crabs, 13 in my 120, 5 in my 55, and 4 captive bred babies in a 10gallon. I just started my 120 gallon on Jan 1, I combined three of my tanks, a 40gal, 29gal, and 20gal.
They were good about giving me my money back once I told them not to ship any more lids. I love TPP, just not their shipping policies lol. I asked them if they could please use UPS the second time if they weren't going to write Fragile on it, but they said Fed Ex was their carrier. So I'm going to make sure to actually go to the store to get my 55 gal lid. It will give me an excuse to shop around anyway hehe. Image
That gap would have def driven me crazy too. I guess they couldn't find a store with one piece either. I haven't tank shopped in a while. I wonder if they are still making the 40 gal breeders without the brace since it's so hard to find a top.
Wow you had a lot of tanks before combining them! I did the same thing with my fish. I had 5 tanks going at one point. Eventually I started combing fish, and fish passed away, and now I'm down to the one 40 gal. You have captive bred babies?? How cool! Did you get them at Crab Con? I think someone on here mentioned a lady named Mary breeds them? Image

RiNiKy506

New Tank Purchase? Lid?? (substrate issues)

Post by RiNiKy506 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:07 am

Well that’s good, I’m glad they gave you your money back. Yes, Mary Akers is the one who bred them and I did attendCrab Con. Lockport is only about 4 hours from me, how could I not go. ;) I’m going again this year but I don’t think I’m going to get any more babies. I’ve been trying not to let myself get anymore crabbies for awhile, that’s a hard thing to do! Lol!

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:16 am

RiNiKy506 wrote:Well that’s good, I’m glad they gave you your money back. Yes, Mary Akers is the one who bred them and I did attendCrab Con. Lockport is only about 4 hours from me, how could I not go. ;) I’m going again this year but I don’t think I’m going to get any more babies. I’ve been trying not to let myself get anymore crabbies for awhile, that’s a hard thing to do! Lol!
That is so cool! I just checked and I'm over 6 hours away. Image Plus I don't drive due to medical issues. I don't know how you controlled yourself only bringing a few babies home lol! Maybe someday Crab Con will move closer my way so I can go. Image

Topic author
Kydra

Post by Kydra » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:17 pm

Ahhh... I'll post more in a few, but should have bought an aquarium while on sale. Was talking to the guy and we talked about how unsuccessful first molts can be so figured I had some more time I guess and decided to do a wait and see.

Welp... molter that's been down for a while just came up last night. Would love to have had something set up as I personally feel I'm pushing it with 4 in a 20G long even though the E is really, really small. He's the only one still down. A bit worried as had one other Petco crab that passed after just a few weeks. This little one was active and eating using both fresh/saltwater for a few weeks unlike the small PP pity purchase some time ago; just seems like too long for that size from what I've read (but can vary).

Was thinking about going back now, they have a 40G (Zilla Critter Cage) for what I would have paid with lid during the sale, but I think it might be plastic. Still looking into it. Also, not meant to hold water so how would it handle all that substrate weight? Not sure it would + UTH. Think I'll take a ride there... which usually ends up with me spending too much money 🤦‍♂️.

At minimum, want to change substrate asap, but it's difficult if you have more than a few to catch them all up at the same time!

I am happy for my 3 guys all with successful first molts though! Just hoping to see the little guy as the others are around the same size give or take and he's just adorable lol.