Stinky Eco Earth?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
ejnolen

Stinky Eco Earth?

Post by ejnolen » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:15 pm

I'm setting up a new tank, and I bought a new block of Eco Earth from Petco to mix with my sand. I've soaked it in a saline solution (dechlor water and instant ocean), but it smells SO STRONG! It has a bold, chemical smell - similar to Miracle Gro potting soil. I've never noticed such a strong smell from EE before. I'm worried I got a bad batch. Anyone else ever had this issue? If so, did you use it?
Momma to 2 wild kiddos: Mattie (7) and Ethan (3) and 2 crabs, Leah (PP) and Gracie (E). RIP Herma (E), Herma 2.0 (E), and Kenna (E).

Crabby7Crabber

Re: Stinky Eco Earth?

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:38 pm

ejnolen wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:15 pm
I'm setting up a new tank, and I bought a new block of Eco Earth from Petco to mix with my sand. I've soaked it in a saline solution (dechlor water and instant ocean), but it smells SO STRONG! It has a bold, chemical smell - similar to Miracle Gro potting soil. I've never noticed such a strong smell from EE before. I'm worried I got a bad batch. Anyone else ever had this issue? If so, did you use it?
I've never had that problem, but I don't think you should use it. Better safe then sorry. But I'm no expert.
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:02 pm

I've had it happen and I regretted using it, the smell did not go away. I rnded up replacing it all after a few days out of worry.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

angelbear

Post by angelbear » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:05 pm

I have not had it happen, but I would also say throw it out. Better safe than sorry.

Sent from my LML414DL using Tapatalk

Hi, I have been crabbing about 7 now, and these guys have put up alot with my growing pains.
Proud mama of 2 shell babies:
1 e, and 1pp

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:33 pm

Maybe you can take some in to Petco and show them it smells and ask for a refund.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My Pets: 2 Pomeranians, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 13 hermit crabs.
"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:20 pm

Yea, I would take it back and get a new bag. Even pop it open and smell it in the parking lot to be safe. It will be an extra trip but will allow you and your crabs to sleep worry free!
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
ejnolen

Post by ejnolen » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:01 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone! I actually set my tank up yesterday, then posted this question before checking the tank parameters again. After mixing the EE with sand and letting the entire mixture sit in the tank overnight and be exposed to air (no lid, no crabs) all seems normal. I was also dealing with a severe migraine yesterday and was very sensitive to smells, so maybe my smeller is more to blame? At any rate, the crabs seem delighted with their new surroundings and the tank smells normal! I'd include a pic of my cuties and their new home, but am incredibly lazy and don't want to deal with all the code hoops I'd have to jump through to get it to show up. 8)
Momma to 2 wild kiddos: Mattie (7) and Ethan (3) and 2 crabs, Leah (PP) and Gracie (E). RIP Herma (E), Herma 2.0 (E), and Kenna (E).