Tank Upgrade, Temp not high enough. Suggestions?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Crabby7Crabber

Re: Tank Upgrade, Temp not high enough. Suggestions?

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:08 pm

CrabbyLover77 wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:02 pm
Do you have any saran wrap on the top? If not, I would definitely wrap up the lid first as best as you can. That alone will help raise your humidity. Then you can use the robe or towels as insulation to keep heat and humidity in. Are you using any kind of heat lamps or just UTH? I'm only asking because heat lamps can zap humidity. Hope this helps some! Image

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
It does help! My parents won't let me use saran wrap, they think my babies will be fine. I don't use a lamp bc my tank is on my dresser which gets sunlight. Should I wrap a blanket around the heaters? One is toward the top of the tank on the bad, and the other is on the side which heaters mostly the sand (I put it a little too low, but it still works. This is before i knew that I was supposed to try to heat the air, not the sand xD)
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:21 pm

Crabby7Crabber wrote: It does help! My parents won't let me use saran wrap, they think my babies will be fine. I don't use a lamp bc my tank is on my dresser which gets sunlight. Should I wrap a blanket around the heaters? One is toward the top of the tank on the bad, and the other is on the side which heaters mostly the sand (I put it a little too low, but it still works. This is before i knew that I was supposed to try to heat the air, not the sand xD)
Oh no bummer! You can also use plastic ziplock bags taped down on top to keep in humidity. I've done that before too. It's not as effective as saran wrap but it does help.
Don't put any cloth/towels around the uth, that could cause a fire. I believe the HCA has a section on how to properly insulate uth. If the heaters have adhesive on them, I believe you cannot insulate them safely. Also, if you are able, the uth heating the sand could be a possible danger for the crabbies. Pockets of hot air could form in the sand and hurt them. The only thing is, if the heater is one with adhesive on it, it isn't safe to pull it off and remount it. I'm sorry I don't know too much about uth, I don't have to use them as my house stays between 75-78 year round.

My Pets: 2 Pomeranians, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 13 hermit crabs.
"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:24 pm

CrabbyLover77 wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:21 pm
Oh no bummer! You can also use plastic ziplock bags taped down on top to keep in humidity. I've done that before too. It's not as effective as saran wrap but it does help.
Don't put any cloth/towels around the uth, that could cause a fire. I believe the HCA has a section on how to properly insulate uth. If the heaters have adhesive on them, I believe you cannot insulate them safely. Also, if you are able, the uth heating the sand could be a possible danger for the crabbies. Pockets of hot air could form in the sand and hurt them. The only thing is, if the heater is one with adhesive on it, it isn't safe to pull it off and remount it. I'm sorry I don't know too much about uth, I don't have to use them as my house stays between 75-78 year round.

Yes, it's super annoying. Any heater suggestions on amazon? I might as well buy one. Please respond soon if you can though because I want to order everything tonight.
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:33 pm

Crabby7Crabber wrote: Yes, it's super annoying. Any heater suggestions on amazon? I might as well buy one. Please respond soon if you can though because I want to order everything tonight.
I'm poking around on the HCA now to find uth info. I know everyone says Zoo Med is not a good brand, but I can never remember which brand they recommend.

My Pets: 2 Pomeranians, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 13 hermit crabs.
"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:37 pm

CrabbyLover77 wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:33 pm
I'm poking around on the HCA now to find uth info. I know everyone says Zoo Med is not a good brand, but I can never remember which brand they recommend.

Thank you, CrabbyLover77! You've helped me so much since i've joined HCA :D Thank you!

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:46 pm

Crabby7Crabber wrote: Thank you, CrabbyLover77! You've helped me so much since i've joined HCA :D Thank you!
Aw you're welcome! I just got a phone call but I'll write as soon as I find info. Image

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:56 pm

CrabbyLover77 wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:46 pm
Aw you're welcome! I just got a phone call but I'll write as soon as I find info. Image

Take your time! No problem!

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:01 pm

Crabby7Crabber wrote: Take your time! No problem!
I found this so far:
"UTH: These are the most popular option for warming crabitats. They are sold for reptiles for use underneath the tank, but in hermit crab enclosures the UTH should only be used on the side or back of the tank. Because of the need of thick substrate in crabitats, UTHs are not effective when used on the bottom and can possibly overheat and become a fire risk. Do not pay attention to the recommended tank size on the packaging - buy the largest sized heat mat that you can fit on the back of your tank as many store-bought UTH run too cool to heat a crabitat. Ultratherm brand UTH must be ordered online, but they are known to run the warmest and are capable of being insulated with styrofoam to boost the heat unlike many other brands. If the UTH runs too warm a plug-in lamp dimmer or thermostat can be used to adjust the temperature. Many crabbers prefer to use a pad that ends above the substrate line so that they do not have to worry about substrate drying out quickly. Also, UTH cannot be bent without damaging them".

I looked up Ultratherm uth on Amazon. They do have them, but they are a little expensive.

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:05 pm

Thank you! I'll check it out right now, as I need one that's for my side of the 10 and want to make sure it will fit!

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:07 pm

https://www.amazon.com/iPower-8-Inch-Re ... CVTQ6TJT61
How about this one? Do you think It'd be okay?

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:09 pm

Crabby7Crabber wrote:Thank you! I'll check it out right now, as I need one that's for my side of the 10 and want to make sure it will fit!
You're welcome! I also read that AussiejjDude said Fluker's mats can be used too. Yeah, def do the measurements to make sure whatever one you get will be a good fit! Image

Links

Post by Links » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:13 pm

Here’s what I got for my 55. Wish I had one taller. Because I have to use a blanket but probably won’t need to in the summer. But I taped it to the back glass above the sub level and taped insulation board over the top of it as well the sides of the tank.

https://www.reptilebasics.com/ultrather ... uth-6-x-47

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:14 pm

Crabby7Crabber wrote:https://www.amazon.com/iPower-8-Inch-Re ... CVTQ6TJT61
How about this one? Do you think It'd be okay?
If Ultratherm is too expensive I'd go with Fluker's instead:

https://smile.amazon.com/Flukers-29052- ... th=1&psc=1

They have sizes from "mini" all the way up to "jumbo". I think all of them are under $25 except for the jumbo size.

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:15 pm

Links wrote:Here’s what I got for my 55. Wish I had one taller. Because I have to use a blanket but probably won’t need to in the summer. But I taped it to the back glass above the sub level and taped insulation board over the top of it as well the sides of the tank.

https://www.reptilebasics.com/ultrather ... uth-6-x-47

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's a good price. Amazon seems to be a bit more expensive for this brand.

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:20 pm

Our personal favorite UTH's are the Ultratherms we must have a dozen of them between all of our tanks. I found they are cheapest from Reptile Basics. Bean Farm also sells them but they are $5-$10 more each there compared to Reptile Basics. They are available on Amazon but for quite a bit more than BF or RB.

We prefer the Ultratherms because you can insulate them, and since they don't have a sticky backs like ZooMeds you can pull them off a tank easily and put them on another.

We just tried Reflectix for the first time. We got a 16" X 25' roll for around $16 at Lowe's. Its way easier to work with than the insulation board. I don't think it has quite the insulating value of the board but probably more effective than cardboard and aluminum foil.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities