90% Humidity!!!!!

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Crabby7Crabber

90% Humidity!!!!!

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:34 pm

So, recently I've been trying my best to make my tank more humid and stuff... but I didn't intend for it to get to 90%! I am currently letting the tank sit with the crabs in it and the lid off for five/ten minutes with the fan on to attempt get it lower (then I'll spray once more and try to get it towards 85% again. Any thoughts! The sand is also really warming up and I have to have someone down there because she hasn't been around for 2/3 weeks. Even unplugged one of the heaters in hope to cool the crabitat and sand down. Can someone help me?
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

Topic author
Crabby7Crabber

Re: 90% Humidity!!!!!

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:39 pm

Alright, it's down to 72%, so I'm going to put the lid back on after misting without the blanket.
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

angelbear

Post by angelbear » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:40 pm

First higher humidity won't hurt them. Although you should be careful of mold or flooding.

Crabs can stay under months sometimes when they burry so try not to worry.

A question? Your sand is warm? Where is your heater? What is your tank temp? Or wjat thermometer or hydrometer do you use? Has it been calibrated?
Hi, I have been crabbing about 7 now, and these guys have put up alot with my growing pains.
Proud mama of 2 shell babies:
1 e, and 1pp

Topic author
Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:50 pm

angelbear wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:40 pm
First higher humidity won't hurt them. Although you should be careful of mold or flooding.

Crabs can stay under months sometimes when they burry so try not to worry.

A question? Your sand is warm? Where is your heater? What is your tank temp? Or wjat thermometer or hydrometer do you use? Has it been calibrated?
Alright, right now, without the blanket, it's 73 degrees and 83% humidity. I use a ThermoPro digital hygrometer and thermometer. It has been accurate lately, as far as I'm aware. One heater is at the bottom of the left side, which is the one I turned off. The reason it was there is because stupidly I put it on there, not knowing that the heaters were for HUMIDITY, lol. Another is on the bottom that I have to take off sometimes. It's unplugged along with the side one. The only one plugged in is the one towards the top left on the back. I ordered a Flukers heater that I'll put on the top left side if I need. Thank you for the note on the higher humidity. Even if you can have it, I don't think I'll want to keep it, because one's down so I can't check, in my opinion, efficiently, for flooding. I've been worried about my baby, but haven't dug him up.
Ugh, it's back to 87%!!!!!!!!!!

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:21 pm

Ok, so you have three heaters? Two on the bottom, one unplugged? The third heater is on the back glass near the top plugged in?
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:45 pm

I will leave the heaters question to Motor.
As for humidity, there is no such thing as too humid. My humidity is almost always over 90% - sometimes in the summer it gets to 99%. I have never taken steps to try to lower it. The high humidity won't lead to flooding, excess misting can. Higher humidity can cause mold to happen quicker, but I just keep an eye on it.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:27 am

I'm confused. Reading your post again. You have one heater on the left side near the bottom. That one is off. The second heater is on the bottom. That is also unplugged. Your third heater is on the back of the tank in the upper left. That one is plugged in.

If your humidity is already high why are you misting the tank again? When you open the lid heat and humidity will escape and drop to room temprt. The longer the tank is open the more both drop until Once you put the top back on everything will go back up shortly. Those rapid changes are ok and won't hurt the crabs. It is long term drops for hours you need to watch out for.

Your gauge placement is important too. Your gauge should be about two inches above the substrate and centered between the front and rear. Your tank should vary in temperature so the crabs can control their temperature by moving around the tank. You are looking for an average temperature and humidity. You can experiment by moving the gauge inside the tank and log your readings. Temperature will be highest near the heater and coolest in the front opposite side of the heater. It will also vary in height too. Humidity will vary that way too but not nearly as much.

Since you are getting a lot of condensation on the inside of the tank it wouldn't hurt to wipe it off.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:23 am

Motörcrab wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:27 am
I'm confused. Reading your post again. You have one heater on the left side near the bottom. That one is off. The second heater is on the bottom. That is also unplugged. Your third heater is on the back of the tank in the upper left. That one is plugged in.

If your humidity is already high why are you misting the tank again? When you open the lid heat and humidity will escape and drop to room temprt. The longer the tank is open the more both drop until Once you put the top back on everything will go back up shortly. Those rapid changes are ok and won't hurt the crabs. It is long term drops for hours you need to watch out for.

Your gauge placement is important too. Your gauge should be about two inches above the substrate and centered between the front and rear. Your tank should vary in temperature so the crabs can control their temperature by moving around the tank. You are looking for an average temperature and humidity. You can experiment by moving the gauge inside the tank and log your readings. Temperature will be highest near the heater and coolest in the front opposite side of the heater. It will also vary in height too. Humidity will vary that way too but not nearly as much.

Since you are getting a lot of condensation on the inside of the tank it wouldn't hurt to wipe it off.
I think I'll just leave it as long as it doesn't get above 93%. My gauge is in the front top left corner in the tank, and it isn't close to my heater. I just got into the routine of misting and realized that it would just make it more humid, ha! Hopefully my sand is cooling down right now. I need to add some more when I redo at the end of Feb.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:15 am

There is nothing wrong with your humidity being above 93%.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Links

Post by Links » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:35 am

Since I’ve turned off my fan I’ve seen 99%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:49 am

I just feel strange having it at 90 and +% because I've never had it before.

Links

Post by Links » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:56 am

Only thing I’m concerned about is condensation on the front glass dripping down into the sub constantly so now I have to keep a blanket covering the entire front. Which helps keep down condensation. Thing is that I don’t have a perfectly sealed lid. I use the hoods that came with the 55gal. And I’ve even cracked it open more on the sides and folded the blanket back on the sides to expose the gaps I’ve created.

Topic author
Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:07 pm

I know how you feel.

Links

Post by Links » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:53 pm

Wierd. My humidity says 84% after being over 90 all the time. wonder what’s dried out? My moss on the wood? I haven’t watered it for a week or more. And or maybe my adjustments are finally working.
Or zoo med digital is inaccurate???

There’s still condensation but much less than before. And fan still turned off. I’ve been thinking of getting a timer for the fan and have it run once in a while but I wonder if thinks like scare crabs??? I never thought about them being scared or extremely cautious or timid but I suppose they are because they are a prey animal???

Topic author
Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:31 pm

Mine's back down to 70 degrees and 74% because my mom made me take the saran wrap off ;-;