Hermit crab has abandoned its shell

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
CaraCaL

Post by CaraCaL » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:50 am

So I've had my crab for two years now. We call him Sabas-chan. He is the only crab in a 29 galloon tank. He came up from a molt in January he was acting rather lathargic not climbing everything like normal. He ate a lot the first two weeks not uncommon for him after molting. But I was worried he didnt have enough shells for him so I ordered about four more one about the same size he was in now and the others larger if varying sizes.

They arrived about a weak ago. I boiled them added them to his tank. The next day he was playing around with them but since I put them in he has not picked a shell and would not go back in his old one. He also stopped eating, he was only sitting in his moss pit or his cave shell less.sometimes at night I'd see him in his old shell. I thought maybe there was something wrong with his shells so I took them all out even his old ones and re cleaned them all. He invistagated his old shell but didnt go in it all the way. Hes been extremely lethargic this past week barely moving only responsive when I spray the tank.

This morning I woke up to him just sitting in his fresh water bowl, still no shell and he is very unresposive. He won't move when I touch him he isnt discolored in anyway and he isnt limp he is stiff when I move him.

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:00 pm

Oh I’m so so sorry. I hate when they start streaking and then worse, staying that way... it is so hard to fight that once they start down that road. It sounds like you were doing everything you could, maybe if you could fill out the emergency template we can pinpoint anything else that may have contributed to his issue. I’m very sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HELP REQUEST TEMPLATE: Questions that help us help you!
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? ... source=app

Topic author
CaraCaL

Re: Hermit crab has abandoned its shell

Post by CaraCaL » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:18 pm

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it? 
Zoo med coconut fiber mixed with play sand (forgot what brand)
2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read? 
Yes, analog thermometer and hydrometer in the top right of his tank temp is normally around 83°f and humidity is an average 81%
3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what? 
Yes I have two undertank heaters from zoo med on the sides as one wasnt keeping it warm enough

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)? 
He has one fresh water dish and one salt water dish. I use aquasafe dechlorinator and jungle aquarium salt which I just learned has been the wrong kind if salt for his salt water. He also has a most pit that is kept in swamp like condition
5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced? 
He gets scrambled eggs once a week and daily I use all living things brand pellets and wadley brand dried shrimp
6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known? I have had it just under two years he is a purple claw

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen? Yes hes moltres a total of three times since I got him. He just came up January 21st I believe

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing? He is kept in a 29 galloon aquarium with a metal lizard lid wrapped in plastic wrap

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they? 
Hes is the only one and I'd say he is a little bigger than a golf ball
10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any? 
Total they are seven
11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently? Non.

12. How often do you clean the tank and how? I havent yet I was about to but then i didnt want to move him when he was acting stressed out and not picking a shell

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned? No

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?  Four shells

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)? When he stopped eating we did try to coax him into eating by giving him some fresh bluegill my father in-law caught he did eat a tiny bit of that.

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail
He has stopped eating and won't go into a shell for about a week now. Today I've found him unresposive inside his water bowl which is unusual for him as he prefers his most pit over the water dishes. He is very stiff when I pick him up and he is still shell less. He also doesnt move when I pick him up (is he dead even though he isnt limp)

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:27 pm

Yes, it sounds like he is most likely gone. I am so sorry. Maybe one of the moderators can chime in with some tips for future changes you might make, if you get decide to adopt another.
I’m so sorry you lost your friend.

Topic author
CaraCaL

Post by CaraCaL » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:04 pm

Ok, thank you for replying.

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:13 pm

One thing I did note that could be improved (aside from the saltwater that you already pointed out) is in the diet.
Here is recommended food(s) for the crabs, and you may also want to see the unsafe food list at your leisure.
Unfortunately, the pellets are not healthy for them. We are told to feed them pellets when we bring them home, but sadly, they can actually be toxic to the crabs at worst and unhealthy at best. It depends on which brand as to what the ‘issue’ is, bc they’re all just slightly different, but that’s the main idea. Crabs need a large variety of vitamins and minerals, just like we do, and also various sources of calcium for their exoskeletal support.
I know there is a ton of info I’m loading onto you now, but I learned so so much in reading through it all- stuff I wouldn’t have even thought of. But I am truly sorry about your loss, it hurts to see them like that. If only pet stores would share this info as well.

Care: Hermit Crab Nutrition by Kilimanjaro

Care: Commercial (Store Bought) Foods

Care: Safe Food List