Silently lurking

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
Droy

Silently lurking

Post by Droy » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:54 am

Just wanted to introduce myself. I have been a member lurking in the background for over a year now. My wife first got a couple hermit crabs which are now mine and has grown to 4. I have read most the forum possibly twice, love to see all the interesting stuff.

Firstly, we had moved from NY to OR across the country and once we got there we were in a temporary housing situation for almost a month. The hermit crabs did awesome inside a tiny storage tote. One of them even moulted in the container(awesome to see).

Secondly, these little guys are much more than first meets the eye. Started out with a 10g obviously not much to work with. Got a 20g long, not much better especially when we get a large crab. So we got a 40g breeder much more appropriate. Then got a 50ish terrarium to use as a topper right before the move. Should have just started with a 40 or larger from the start and had more patience waiting for the good deals.

Now we have what I read as a 92g setup. And now I am truly impressed by what people do with their crabitats. There is so much space. I am still trying to get it setup.Image

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Silently lurking

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:03 am

Congrats on the topper! New tank is beginning to look fab, cant wait to see updates!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:00 am

So glad that you've posted!! Glad to hear they handled the move so well. That new tank is going to be amazing, and I'd love to see how you end up decorating it over time!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:52 am

Welcome! I can't wait to see how your tank will turn out! Crabbing is a very addictive lifestyle! We currently have 6 tanks!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:23 am

Welcome! I love your tank! I’ve always liked the 40gal, the width is great, especially with the topper! I know I wish I could have had a topper when I had my 40, just bc once the sub was in, I wasn’t left with much space, topside. Can’t wait to see your tank and your cute little guys!

Topic author
Droy

Post by Droy » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:28 am

6 Tanks lol honestly if my wife would have been okay with tanks all over. I would probably have all of them setup

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:30 am

Droy wrote:6 Tanks lol honestly if my wife would have been okay with tanks all over. I would probably have all of them setup

I’m with you there! I’d have every one filled if I could, I combined three of my tanks. I’m down to three tanks, from 6! ;)

Topic author
Droy

Post by Droy » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:32 am

RiNiKy506 wrote:Welcome! I love your tank! I’ve always liked the 40gal, the width is great, especially with the topper! I know I wish I could have had a topper when I had my 40, just bc once the sub was in, I wasn’t left with much space, topside. Can’t wait to see your tank and your cute little guys!
Yeppers once the sub is added there isn't a lot of vertical space. Although, with smaller crabs(less sub) it would be perfect to start.

Topic author
Droy

Post by Droy » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:37 am

RiNiKy506 wrote:I’m with you there! I’d have every one filled if I could, I combined three of my tanks. I’m down to three tanks, from 6! ;)
Reading through the DIY section I start dreaming creating elaborate crabitats with multiple tanks connected by tunnels or something. (I'm sure I'm not the only one who dreams of what would be awesome to do with the crabs)

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:02 am

Droy wrote: Reading through the DIY section I start dreaming creating elaborate crabitats with multiple tanks connected by tunnels or something. (I'm sure I'm not the only one who dreams of what would be awesome to do with the crabs)

Yes! There are so many possibilities! I was going to do two 55 gallon tanks with a 29 gallon as a topper, to connect them. I saw someone did that but with three of them! I got an awesome Christmas present this year though, a 120 gallon. We had bought a 125, used with broken frame braces but just didn’t have the time to fix it. I will figure something out, someday! I’m obsessed with buying used tanks. Lol! I love seeing what people come up with, so many creative people. I usually just copy. Lol!

Topic author
Droy

Post by Droy » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:53 am

Took me a while to starting/posting my progress with my crabitat. I think it has turned out really well. So far have had 3/4 make it to the top and my biggest has been underground for a while.

Considering creating a 4th level with a long planter bottom for a moss pit and shell shop.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Droy

Silently lurking

Post by Droy » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:54 am

Hope people can figure out all the pictures from different angles.

Last edited by Droy on Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:09 am

Wow! Super cool! I love your topper and all of those levels. Thanks for sharing your pictures.

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:19 pm

That is fab!! It’s looking great, and your crabbies seem to be having a blast exploring it all! I hope to do the same and connect multiple tanks in the future- it’s only fair as they grow, or at least that’s gonna be my excuse!

Love it- keep up the awesome crabbing!

Topic author
Droy

Post by Droy » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:36 pm

Sometimes feels like a ton for just 4 crabs. When 1 is almost always down.