Heat Pads

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Julsie

Heat Pads

Post by Julsie » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:17 pm

Good heating pad brands? Im browsing amazon right now and I saw a 2 pack 8 x 18 in heating pad by iPower for usd $46.99. My tank is a 40 gallon and I currently have one small heating pad on the side of my tank. I bought a digital temp/humidity reader and my temp sits at 75 degrees and the humidity says 99...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hermiesguardian

Re: Heat Pads

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:50 pm

Many of us use Ultratherm and Flukers.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:46 pm

I was actually looking at heating pads on Amazon today. They had Ultratherms listed but their prices were more than the web sites of the store selling them!

The Bean Farm and Reptile Basics both offer Ultratherms. Reptile Basics is almost $10 cheaper than Bean Farm too. They both have great service too.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
Julsie

Post by Julsie » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:47 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:Many of us use Ultratherm and Flukers.
Appreciate it

Topic author
Julsie

Post by Julsie » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:47 pm

Motörcrab wrote:I was actually looking at heating pads on Amazon today. They had Ultratherms listed but their prices were more than the web sites of the store selling them!

The Bean Farm and Reptile Basics both offer Ultratherms. Reptile Basics is almost $10 cheaper than Bean Farm too. They both have great service too.
Thanks for the response

DevilNDisguise

Post by DevilNDisguise » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:01 pm

I definitely recommend Ultratherm. I've heard Flukers is good as well, though I have no personal experience with theirs. I currently have an 11"x47" Ultratherm on my 75g, and it only cost me about $33. I got it off of Reptile Basics (website).

Looking into iPower, they look very similar to Zoo Med. It looks like their heating mats are made with an adhesive, which means once they're placed onto the tank, you won't be able to reuse them if you have to move it for any reason. These types usually can't be insulated either, if that's ever a requirement for you.

I'd definitely look into getting one that you can at least move around freely if you need to. Insulating isn't always as important if the mats get you up to the right temps, but it can help in cases that your temps just aren't staying high enough.
1 Bearded Dragon, 1 Guinea Pig, 1 Mouse, 1 Lovebird, 1 Dog, 2 Cats, 2 Rabbits, 2 Frogs, 2 Cockatiels, 2 Budgies & Their 3 Babies, 3 Rats, 4 Hamsters, and Many Hermit Crabs!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:10 am

I have both Flukers and Ultratherm, and they are extremely similar. The only difference is one brand has to be ordered online.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:46 am

I'm going to order Flukers or UltraTherm from now on instead of ZooMed, because they sound so much better...
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

CrabbyChelle628

Post by CrabbyChelle628 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:56 am

Has anyone heard of "Tikaton Reptile Heat pad"? I got them from Amazon. They came with the adhesive he could stick on but I didn't do that. Those are the ones I'm using and they are adjustable. Unfortunately they don't come with a thermometer gauge on the adjustable part. I am just wondering if anybody else has had experience with this brand, and if anybody could give me any input?

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:30 pm

I just did a quick read about them on Amazon. I did not see any information on if it is safe or unsafe to insulate. I would just play it safe and assume it can not be insulated until you find out for sure.

I never saw an UTH that has a built in temperature control before. I'm always reluctant to try smaller not very well know brands, especially if they are considerably cheaper than known good quality ones.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities