Basketball Net??

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
KimzKrabs

Basketball Net??

Post by KimzKrabs » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:36 am

Hi! I’m officially ready (I think) to put together my new crabitat however I forgot to ask about something. I got a basketball goal net to put up in the back of the tat and I’ve got some plants I was gonna wind through it so they can climb. Is the basketball net a bad idea - in a serious way? Lol I ask it like that because I’ve already opened it and the package got thrown away so it can’t be returned so I just want to know if it will be a hazard for my crabbies? I’m sure there are other choices and I’ve looked that might be better but I just want to make sure it won’t be harmful. Thanks everyone! I’m finally finishing moving Apts today so I’m getting new crabitat put together . K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Basketball Net??

Post by curlysister » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:52 am

What's it made of?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
KimzKrabs

Post by KimzKrabs » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:28 pm

Idk it’s a standard basketball net I don’t have the package anymore

Topic author
KimzKrabs

Post by KimzKrabs » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:29 pm

I believe it’s nylon

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:58 pm

I would avoid that net just because crabs will pick it apart and possibly eat it. On the other hand some people also use fish netting and that is nylon, but much thinner. We stopped using fish netting 6-8 months ago because we noticed crabs trying to crawl through the holes rather than up and down it. I wouldn't use the basketball netting myself because we had issues with other types of netting. It is also tough to say what was used in it's manufacturing.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:51 pm

Thanks for replying Motor! I would agree that nylon wouldn't be great for crabs.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
KimzKrabs

Post by KimzKrabs » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:16 pm

Thank you both so much yes I decided to not use that I actually got some burlap jute that’s stronger and smaller holes than reg burlap and I also got a hamster cage I’m gonna cover with that same cloth I’m getting ready to boil it and get it sterilized right now. Thank you so much for the reply’s everyone on here has been extremely helpful! Ile send pic when it’s done!! 🤞👍

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:40 pm

Awesome! We are glad we could help. Some things are simple to say it's safe or not. Things like this are a bit tough to say for sure.

A few months ago I bought a toilet decoration for my crabs from PetSmart. I took it out for whatever reason and tossed it in our ISO tank. A few months later I was going to reuse it. The part that was in the substrate had the paint bubbling and peeling off. So it's not safe. It falls into the "It's safe until it isn't" category.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
KimzKrabs

Post by KimzKrabs » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:42 pm

Lol I understand that