Low humidity tried everything

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Ashleypink22

Low humidity tried everything

Post by Ashleypink22 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:16 am

:( So I recently upgraded to a 20 gal tank I have everything for my hermit crabs to survive but unfortunately I can’t keep the humidity right I have moss soaked in fresh water, I spray the tank, I keep salt and fresh water available at all times, the temp is usually at 75 I have a under tank heater on the back and when it gets colder I have a night time spot light. I have a daylight light and press n seal literally have tried everything. The humidity doesn’t budge from 69 and I am so worried about them dying. I am thinking of getting another uth and removing the spot light but idk if that will help. Even with a uth and spot light the tank is only 75 but the humidity is always in the 60s I hope someone can help me.

Topic author
Ashleypink22

Re: Low humidity tried everything

Post by Ashleypink22 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:19 am

My husband thinks a wood lid would work I can have someone put a hole in the top for the heat lamp and build in the daylight lamp they think it will help with humidity but I don’t know if it will be enough air it’s not sealed shut.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:36 am

Have you calibrated your hygrometer?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Ashleypink22

Post by Ashleypink22 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:50 am

How do you do that? I bought the ultra rite one at walmart

Topic author
Ashleypink22

Post by Ashleypink22 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:59 am

Acurite*

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:29 am

Crabitat: Calibrating a Hygrometer
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? ... source=app

Sent from my SAMSUNG Family Hub Refrigerator using Tapatalk

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:07 am

I would think a wood lid would absorb the moisture. A glass lid is best. I cover my mesh lids with plexi glass I got from a hobby store, and seal it completely with packing tape. Lights will usually zap humidity, especially if they are for heat. Is your substrate sandcastle consistancy?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:13 am

What type of UTH do you have? Depending on the type SOME can be insulated. If yours is the type that can be insulated that will help raise your temperature 3-5 degrees.

Like Hermiesguardian said heat lamps are notorious for zapping humidity. The plastic wrap helps but is not nearly as efficient as a glass lid.

I wouldn't worry about air. As you open the tank for daily chores will circulate the air.

One option is trying the Bundy DIY Humidifier.
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=26260

Edit: Smaller size tanks are always more difficult to maintain stable conditions. Slight changes in your house really affect the tank more than larger tanks.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities