When to look for molters

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Julsie

When to look for molters

Post by Julsie » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:31 am

So I upgraded from a 40gal to a 75 gal and I have 10 hermies. 1 small one, the rest medium/average and about 3 large ones. When I transferred them they were all above the substrate, except 3 of them were partially burrowed but not so far down you had to dig everywhere to find them. The 75 gal is 6inch deep of ecoearth substrate. It’s been about a month or so since the transfer and all of the crabs but 3 (maybe 5) are burrowed. Is it possible for crabs to not find a way back to the top of the surface? Could they die and suffocate or some other possible ways to die? Molting makes me pretty nervous and since I started crabbing in October I believe i’ve had a few successful molts and some that didn’t make it during molting. I still own my very hermit that I got in October and she molted and survived and back then I definitely wasn’t as experienced as I am now so I feel pretty good about my first one still being alive. Anyway there’s some crabitat decor placed near where I saw 2 crabs go down and i’m scared thinking what if they get trapped? Can they move in the substrate and find a way around any obstacles? The crabs I believe are spaced out as well all around the 75 gal. If you need more information I do have two water pools deep enough to submerge and climb out (1 fresh 1 salt instant ocean) with a bubbler system. I have a large food bowl and I order food off etsy, right now they are being fed ~ fruit smoothie, trail mix, chicken soup casserole, worm castings, skeletal power repair, color me purple and eat your veggies. I have 50-60 shells in a shell shop basket. Two humidity/temp gauges, moss pit, plenty of second level, lots of hiding places, a hammock, a hamster wheel made hermit safe, currently 3 UTHs placed on all walls of the tank, blanket added on top, moon glow bulb & daytime heat bulb & uvb light bar (12 hour rotation), solid shut lid. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motörcrab

Re: When to look for molters

Post by Motörcrab » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:41 am

Crabs have been digging on beaches, and other natural places for thousands of years before becoming pets. In the wild they can go much deeper than any tank. Their digging habit is the most nerve wracking thing that they do. If they come across something while digging they will simply go over, under, or around it. Crabs can stay buried for months and months.

The only time you should ever look for a molting crab is if there is some type of problem with your tank. The only two issues that require digging are flooding and bacterial blooms.
Flooding is when you get a build up of water at the bottom of the tank. It can be caused by over misting to control humidity, a leaking water pool, overspray from bubbles, or too high of humidity building up condensation.
Bacterial blooms are usually happen, but not always with the conjunction with floods. Blooms can happen when a crab dies while molting underground, or if food or other matter starts to break down. Blooms can also happen due to lack of oxygen getting to the lower area of the substrate.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
Julsie

Post by Julsie » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:33 am

Motörcrab wrote:Crabs have been digging on beaches, and other natural places for thousands of years before becoming pets. In the wild they can go much deeper than any tank. Their digging habit is the most nerve wracking thing that they do. If they come across something while digging they will simply go over, under, or around it. Crabs can stay buried for months and months.

The only time you should ever look for a molting crab is if there is some type of problem with your tank. The only two issues that require digging are flooding and bacterial blooms.
Flooding is when you get a build up of water at the bottom of the tank. It can be caused by over misting to control humidity, a leaking water pool, overspray from bubbles, or too high of humidity building up condensation.
Bacterial blooms are usually happen, but not always with the conjunction with floods. Blooms can happen when a crab dies while molting underground, or if food or other matter starts to break down. Blooms can also happen due to lack of oxygen getting to the lower area of the substrate.
Thank u Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:03 am

Also keep in mind that they could come up and go back down at night or a time when we don't see them.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Crabalicious

Post by Crabalicious » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:31 am

Nice tank. I just want to add that we should wipe condensation off the glass with a paper towel. I had a flood last month and I'm sure the condensation contributed to it. The tank was warm, the room would get colder overnight. Hopefully soon, with warmer weather it won't be an issue.