Rearranged my crabitat

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
CrazyCrabman

Rearranged my crabitat

Post by CrazyCrabman » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:08 pm

This is a continuation of my new crabber post. I took your suggestions and applied them to the tank.

I added more cocohusk and mixed it with the sand. I got some more climby stuff and a hidey area. I got a deeper dish for the saltwater so they can submerge. Here's pics of the new set up. The last pic is the old setup but with the extra substrate and sand mixed just to show depth. I cant do alot as one of my crabs is down.ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Crabby7Crabber

Re: Rearranged my crabitat

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:02 am

That's an awesome improvement! Just a few suggestions for you-- first, painted shells are toxic to crabs. If they swallow part of the chipped paint, it could kill them. I definitely suggest getting some more natural shells soon. Next, what brand of pellets are you using? And do you have a calcium source? Most pellets are toxic to crabs, so I would stay away from them. And calcium is an essential for hermit crabs. If you want an easy choice, I suggest cuttlebone. You can find it in the bird section of the pet store. Your crabbies will love you! One other thing I'd like to add is that if you add more sand after your little guy comes up, and mix water into the substrate, you can get a sandcastle-consistancy substrate that's good for making caves (molting). But some people just use coco fibre, so it's up to you!
You've definitely improved :D Awesome job!
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺