Zoo Med Climbing Branches?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Crabby7Crabber

Zoo Med Climbing Branches?

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:24 pm

Yeah, so my question is the title. I've had a study blue one every since I began crabbing and it hasn't chipped as far as I can tell. I'm not sure if I should take it out for precaution, or... I also have a piece of cholla wood, but one of these is supposed to lead up to my little coconut fibre and moss pit that's on top of my hut. I think the real cholla wood would (tongue twister, but not really, ha{getting sidetracked, but I love to say "she sells seashells by the sea shore}) would work fine, but what do you guys think? My crabs seem fine with them, but then again they don't really climb. They're too fat to move around much! :D The fastest I've seen them move is when they see me refill the food bowl, and even then, they usually wait until I leave!
Edit: here's the link to what it looks like, but it's blue--
https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Hermit-C ... OQBJO?th=1
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

Motörcrab

Re: Zoo Med Climbing Branches?

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:18 pm

I think these are safe to use as long as they aren't painted. These are an inexpensive alternative to real cholla. I personally am not a fan of the store bought real cholla. We had the same issue with our crabs not showing much interest in that stuff. About two years ago we purchased some cholla and foods from Cholla Queen on Etsy. Our crabs went nuts for that stuff they climb on and eat it too! She harvests it outside of Las Vegas. We have had less issues of hers molding compared to the other stuff too. If you decide to purchase from her I would only suggest not to get one of the scrap packs. You get a lot but they are bits and pieces, not logs.

Edited for poor spelling.
Last edited by Motörcrab on Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:37 pm

These are both painted and plastic. I’d keep an eye on it in case the paint starts to chip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:55 am

Alright-- I think when I get the chance I'll buy some more Cholla. Thanks for the suggestions and advice :D
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺