Too Hot

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
FJrocks003

Too Hot

Post by FJrocks003 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:28 pm

So this isn't an emergency but I would like to fix it before it becomes a bigger problem. My tank is to hot. My temperature gauge usually reads about 95F, which is the very highest it should ever go (though I'd rather it around 85F). Today I was surprised and concerned to see it reach 100F. I have two heat lamps (one or night, one for day). I know that it would be better to use heat mats ut the only ones I have right now are far too big for my 10 gallon tank. I considered turning to heat lamps off for parts of the day but in the day they need the light and at night the temperature sometimes drops under 40F in my house (I can't sleep without my windows open). I can't get any new supplies do to the lockdown. Any ideas on what to do?
Indigo, Fleck, Flame, Dilly, and our newest addition: Thunder
RIP: Bubbles (passed on Wednesday March 31, 2020)

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Too Hot

Post by wodesorel » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:00 pm

Prop the lights above the tank. The farther away they get, the cooler the tank will become.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Too Hot

Post by curlysister » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:06 pm

Also, if they are in a room with a window, they will get indirect natural light if you turned your heat light off.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers