Build Diary - The Curio Crab-inet

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
TamosClaro

Re: Build Diary - The Curio Crab-inet

Post by TamosClaro » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:19 pm

Thanks err'ybody! I'm hoping that I can still make progress on my next pour this weekend, since my pour table has now been converted to my work-from-home table.

It won't be long before I can start decorating the inside! Maybe my crabs will be able to move in by end of April?

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

Topic author
TamosClaro

Post by TamosClaro » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:00 pm

Heaters and insulation are attached! Cut a sheet of Styrofoam to fit the two glass windows that my heat mats are on. Beveled the edges and painted them green for funsies. I cut the Styrofoam with a sabre saw and had a bit of a goof when I looked up and saw the second picture. I'll remember to use dropcloths next time!ImageImage

Nessiandnoah

Post by Nessiandnoah » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:03 am

What does the styrofoam do? Help insulate the heat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
TamosClaro

Post by TamosClaro » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:32 am

Yep! The Styrofoam should help the heat from the heat mat be redirected towards the enclosure and not my living room. I've seen other folks use Styrofoam, cardboard, and other materials this way, and I figured it would really help!

Nessiandnoah

Post by Nessiandnoah » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:18 pm

Awesome I didn’t know yeah I guess it works like a styrofoam cooler but a heater lol that’s neat! Can’t wait for future updates and to see the final project!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
TamosClaro

Post by TamosClaro » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:32 pm

Tada! Went ahead and just finished the whole thing. But if anyone has any questions about how I did something or the supplies I used, let me know!Image

Topic author
TamosClaro

Post by TamosClaro » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:35 pm

Top net level and a cork level. This is the level where I have their food dish. There's one crabby hiding in the bamboo tube. Back right corner has a hole cut out and a reptivine to connect it to the next level.Image

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:36 pm

TamosClaro wrote:Tada! Went ahead and just finished the whole thing. But if anyone has any questions about how I did something or the supplies I used, let me know!Image

Oh wow, awesome! How do they get from one level to the next? Image

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

My Pets: 2 Pomeranians, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 13 hermit crabs.
"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:37 pm

We must have posted at the same time! The vine is a neat idea to connect the levels.

My Pets: 2 Pomeranians, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 13 hermit crabs.
"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-

Topic author
TamosClaro

Post by TamosClaro » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:39 pm

CrabbyLover77 wrote:We must have posted at the same time! The vine is a neat idea to connect the levels.ImageImage

Thanks! Yeah, I don't know about others, but my crabs love climbing and spend all their time climbing into trouble. So I figured they'd see a vine as a fun challenge. ;] I've got more pics of the levels!

Topic author
TamosClaro

Post by TamosClaro » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:42 pm

My next level with modified exercise wheel! I cut out a section from the cork tile to hold a tupperware of fresh water. I costed the inside and edges of the tupperware with silicone and sand for grippiness. The front left corner has a hole cut out that the reptivine continues down through.Image

Topic author
TamosClaro

Post by TamosClaro » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:43 pm

TamosClaro wrote:My next level with modified exercise wheel! I cut out a section from the cork tile to hold a tupperware of fresh water. I costed the inside and edges of the tupperware with silicone and sand for grippiness. The front left corner has a hole cut out that the reptivine continues down through.Image

Also, another crab hiding underneath the wheel...so far they all seem to prefer it as a hide. >3>

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:45 pm

TamosClaro wrote:Thanks! Yeah, I don't know about others, but my crabs love climbing and spend all their time climbing into trouble. So I figured they'd see a vine as a fun challenge. ;] I've got more pics of the levels!

That is so cool! You put so much work into it. I definitely don't have that kind of patience!
And yay for being from PA too Haha! Image

Topic author
TamosClaro

Post by TamosClaro » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:47 pm

Another cork level, this time with a tupperware of salt water. The reptivine attaches to the wall at the base of the next hole in the back right corner. A piece of cholla wood connects that level down to the moulting level. That's it!Image

Topic author
TamosClaro

Post by TamosClaro » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:50 pm

CrabbyLover77 wrote:
That is so cool! You put so much work into it. I definitely don't have that kind of patience!
And yay for being from PA too Haha! Image

Thank you! It was a lot of work to get the cabinet painted and coated in epoxy, but then everything went really quick and easier than I expected!

PA represent! :D