Condensation

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
PeekaBoo2013

Condensation

Post by PeekaBoo2013 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:00 pm

Hi all, any advice on reducing conservation? I am getting a lot of it on the suran wrap that is on the mesh lid. The sides where me uth are don't condense but the rest of the lid does. I only have insulation (cut up car sun shield) on the back and right side with heaters. Should I insulate the other sides to reduce condensation? Temp fluctuates between 70 and 75 in "cool" corner furthest from heaters. Humidity is at 99%

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

2 Tabby Cats: Peeka and Boo(10/2013)
3 Purple Pinchers: Bagel (11/2019), Schmear (11/2019), and Lox (12/2019)

Brand new owner of hermit crabs, I have never been around them and I'm learning a lot!

avocadocrabbies

Re: Condensation

Post by avocadocrabbies » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:41 am

Honestly, too much humidity isn't a thing for crabbies. Their natural habit is on the beach, so they just can't get enough of humidity. if there's condensation on the walls of the tank, just beware of mold that loves growing in damp conditions. If you want, insulation probably can't hurt. But don't worry about the humidity being 99%, because the crabbies are fine with it. The only thing you have to worry about is possible mold, which honestly isn't even that bad for the crabbies, it's worse for the humans.
four crabbies: Pool Guy, Karen, Hurricane Sandy, Igor- 3 PPs and an E :)

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:54 pm

Condensation forms because the air outside the tank is cooler than the air inside the tank. That’s why there’s no condensation where the heaters are.

I wouldn’t let your tank temperature drop below seventy degrees. You could try adding more insulation around the tank but it may be easier to just open the tank and let it air out a little. Reducing your humidity will reduce your condensation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sillymel

Post by Sillymel » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:07 am

I’m having the same problem with condensation and keeping the humidity levels up right now. I have moss pits in both tanks and I’ve added an air pump to the pools in my 55 gal tank. it seems to keep the humidity around 80-82, same with the temperature but my crabs are used to having it closer to 90 for the humidity. But my 40 gal breeder tank is constantly covered in condensation (top, front, sides). I wipe it off with a paper towel because I found when I slide the lid open a little the temperature drops, but their food gets covered with mold (in both tanks) after a day or two. Should I be changing it everyday until the tanks go back to “normal”? I have 7 crabs in each tank, the 40 gal has all smaller crabs, the largest one is smaller than a half dollar, the 55 gal tank has different sizes with the largest one being in between a golf ball and a tennis ball. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk