50 gallon build

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
quinnmquinn

Re: 50 gallon build

Post by quinnmquinn » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:01 pm

Crabby7Crabber wrote:What are the dimensions of the water tank? I honestly think they should be okay, as long as when they get to the bottom they will be fully submerged. The bridge should be able to help them climb out, all though I'm not sure if they would be able to turn around. Trying my best to help!
The tank is (l x w x h) 17.5x8x8 and the ramp is 3.5 inches wide.
The smaller tank is 7x8x5 and the ramp is 3 inches wide.

Links

Post by Links » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:22 am

I suppose a true jumbo might be a tight fit but this looks awesome!!!

avocadocrabbies

Post by avocadocrabbies » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:08 pm

Where are you with the build? Sorry to be nosy, but I recently got a new 50gal (currently I have 4 crabs in a 20gal) and I'm looking for setup ideas- yours looks awesome! I could never be that handy with building water pools and such, haha
four crabbies: Pool Guy, Karen, Hurricane Sandy, Igor- 3 PPs and an E :)

Topic author
quinnmquinn

Post by quinnmquinn » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:44 pm

avamin2005 wrote:Where are you with the build? Sorry to be nosy, but I recently got a new 50gal (currently I have 4 crabs in a 20gal) and I'm looking for setup ideas- yours looks awesome! I could never be that handy with building water pools and such, haha
I also have a 20 gallon long! I have three crabs in there, this is what they are upgrading from (you can see the big one hanging from the top):

I am just trying to make everything water proof, been a slow process of adding a bit of water everyday to find leaks. And when I find one it sets me back a day of drying time. I’m expecting to be assembling in a day or two.
Since my original arrangement won’t work this is my plan:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
quinnmquinn

Post by quinnmquinn » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:48 pm

I was originally just planning to cut one piece of acrylic and silicone it like dam sort of deal and add a pool that way. That would be way easier than what I am doing now, I just wasn’t committed to making permanent changes to the tank. All you’d have to cut one square and silicone it width wise across the tank, you could even separate it with another piece to make two pools.

avocadocrabbies

Post by avocadocrabbies » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:15 pm

ahhh I see, it's a lot less work and is just as effective. Looks great! and your crabbies are so adorable :D

Speaking of pools, those are pretty deep (especially the first floor one) how high do you plan on filling them up? I guess it wouldn't be a problem if there are sponges in them, but I always worry a crab might drown :(

Topic author
quinnmquinn

Post by quinnmquinn » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:06 pm

avamin2005 wrote:ahhh I see, it's a lot less work and is just as effective. Looks great! and your crabbies are so adorable :D

Speaking of pools, those are pretty deep (especially the first floor one) how high do you plan on filling them up? I guess it wouldn't be a problem if there are sponges in them, but I always worry a crab might drown :(
Saltwater is 9” deep. Fresh water is 5”. I’ve been interested to test the theory that crabs swim/soak. I’ve seen several people who have deep tanks (some use 2.5 gallon tanks). Hoping I don’t have a drowning! But I think the ramp will help, I think I trust my deep bowls less than these because they don’t have a great way of getting in or out and are deeper than the crabs.

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:36 pm

Like you and others said, I think the ramp is good and it'll help them! It looks really good! :D They'll be in crabby paradise!
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

avocadocrabbies

Post by avocadocrabbies » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:49 am

quinnmquinn wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:06 pm
Saltwater is 9” deep. Fresh water is 5”. I’ve been interested to test the theory that crabs swim/soak. I’ve seen several people who have deep tanks (some use 2.5 gallon tanks). Hoping I don’t have a drowning! But I think the ramp will help, I think I trust my deep bowls less than these because they don’t have a great way of getting in or out and are deeper than the crabs.

I agree, that ramp looks like a pretty failsafe way for them to not drown. Loving it!

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:04 am

Avamin, sponges aren't recommended in pools - they only harbor bacteria. They can be given dry for crabs to munch on, but should not be used in water.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:20 pm

curlysister wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:04 am
Avamin, sponges aren't recommended in pools - they only harbor bacteria. They can be given dry for crabs to munch on, but should not be used in water.
Curly- quick question. Just before I realized all sponges really do is harvest bacteria I bought a 6 pack of them. Based off of what you said, do you think if I just place one in my tank dry my crabs would like it? I've seen them in the past just sit on top of them for 20 or so minutes and not move when I still had them in the water.
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

avocadocrabbies

Post by avocadocrabbies » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:02 am

curlysister wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:04 am
Wow- how did I not know this? I’ve been on here a while *face slap* thanks for telling me! However, I want to put something in their pool so they have something to hold on to. The way my pool is shaped I can’t put any ramps/craft mesh, any ideas? A rock maybe?

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:34 am

I always planned on adding some of the smaller fake aquarium plants to my pools when I upgrade my tank and get bigger pools. As of right now they wouldn’t fit but I’ve wanted to do that for awhile!
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Seasalt, & Elvis
Captive Bred PP = Randy
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

Topic author
quinnmquinn

Post by quinnmquinn » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:38 am

PinchersAndShells wrote:I always planned on adding some of the smaller fake aquarium plants to my pools when I upgrade my tank and get bigger pools. As of right now they wouldn’t fit but I’ve wanted to do that for awhile!
Do you keep aquariums too? I do and I wanted to put some of my excess plants in the fresh water pool to keep the water more “alive”. So I pulled some java moss to put into the freshwater tank. I also bought some fake plants that are the mesh type to maybe put along a wall so they can climb out. I think I’d work for any bowl size so the crabs could climb out. This is it:

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:41 am

I don’t keep any aquariums yet, I’ve thought about setting up a planted tank for a betta fish but I don’t think I’ll be pursuing it for a bit longer. That looks great! I’ll have to save it to one of my Amazon lists.
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Seasalt, & Elvis
Captive Bred PP = Randy
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/