Driftwood

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Sarahlynnrn

Driftwood

Post by Sarahlynnrn » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:16 pm

We collected this beautiful driftwood with hopes to add it to the tank. Best methods to sterilize? Fresh picked off Puget Sound (saltwater) and hoping not to introduce problems or mold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Links

Re: Driftwood

Post by Links » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:42 pm

I have a lot of driftwood in my tank. And I don’t think I have a problem but who knows. I was questioning if any of mine was pine which would be a problem in an enclosed area according to my research.

I brushed off the dust because mine was in a garage in garbage bags. Then I blew off the dust with compressed air. You could probably just scrub it under water if needed. If that’s not needed then I’d just bake it at 200°F for 30 minutes. I think that’s what I did. I got some mold near the substrate but it stopped on its own. Some people soak it in instant ocean water like they do with the sub to control mold.

After baking mine And not smelling any pine smell I felt ok to add it to the tank. I’ve also tied moss to the wood which won’t stay alive unless I water it and I’ve quit watering it because the sub isn’t drying out like it used to and I don’t want a flood.

There may be a step I’m missing and others may have better techniques.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:40 pm

I scrubbed my driftwood with some salt water and baked it in the oven for a bit like Links described. My only regret is that I didn't pick up more when I was at the Lake!`
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Sarahlynnrn

Post by Sarahlynnrn » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:41 pm

curlysister wrote:I scrubbed my driftwood with some salt water and baked it in the oven for a bit like Links described. My only regret is that I didn't pick up more when I was at the Lake!`
I had to restrain myself from picked my up more than a bag full for our 29 gal Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk