3rd molter came up

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
Julsie

3rd molter came up

Post by Julsie » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:50 am

Over the last 3-4 weeks i’ve had 3 crabs come up from a molt so it’s exciting! I have 10 and when I got them all they were all up and out and no one was burrowed. Since January all of my crabs except 2 have been burrowed. I went from seeing 10 crabs all the time to only seeing 2 crabs up and out ): so yeah so far 3 crabbies have came up! I have 5 that are out and about as of now. The big dark colored one in the funky shell is the newest to come up from a molt. Image
p.s this is a little setup I place the crabs in when cleaning the tank / or doing a headcount of the crabs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

avocadocrabbies

Re: 3rd molter came up

Post by avocadocrabbies » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:12 pm

So cute! What are their names? I always get a kick out of hearing weird crab names ;D
four crabbies: Pool Guy, Karen, Hurricane Sandy, Igor- 3 PPs and an E :)

Maddamay32

Post by Maddamay32 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:56 am

Is that a hermit crab's legs in the bottom of the pic or just exo? Also is that dirt or rock chunks in the sub?
8 crabs at the moment "Tarzan, Kermit, Shy guy, Eduardo, Jimbo, Rosa, Diesel, Treaker"

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:13 pm

Curious about both of the questions above!
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

Topic author
Julsie

3rd molter came up

Post by Julsie » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:56 am

^ sorry I never saw these notifications. I got a question about this a week ago that I just saw as well so i’m going through my old posts to see if others wanted to know. The limbs are from a crab that did a surface molt and I didn’t know if it was alive so I kept it in a isolation container for almost 2 weeks and eventually I realized it was dead. I moved the isolation container out of the main tank and into that bucket and dumped its body out onto the sand/rocks (the container was a cardboard box I had that was a small enough size to fit into my tank) the humidity over the 2 weeks damaged the container and it was falling apart. So when I was dumping it’s body out to put it in something else to transport, the crab was also falling apart and its limbs well fell off. I never cleaned out the bucket because I had things to do and when I got the bucket back out again I forgot the limbs and already placed the crabs in the bucket. But since then I cleaned out the bucket! Sorry for the confusion just wanted to clear things up.

Also forgot to mention the sand/rocks in the bucket is safe (natural? i dont know the word for it or how to explain it but my dad told me about this type of sand that is used for construction. Commonly called all purpose “play sand”? I googled it and what popped up is its sand used in sand boxes for children i guess?) i used this when I first became a crabber and I just needed something that could be used as a ground surface instead of the plastic at the bottom (didn’t want them slipping around the bucket.) My main tank is 6inch EE substrate lol not the sand btw. But the crabs are only in this bucket for 5-10min when I am cleaning, rearranging etc their main tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk