Heating Issues

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
TheOnyxDragon

Heating Issues

Post by TheOnyxDragon » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:45 pm

I got my crabs a few months and I have them in a 55 gallon tank. I have a fogger, if that’s important and it might be cooling it down. I have 2 heating lamp fixtures (120 volts), but I can’t seem to get the temp past 77 degrees Fahrenheit. I’ve switched from a 50W ceramic to a 80W ceramic to a 100W Neodymium build them back to the 80W ceramic. The lamps are sticking into their tanks to keep the temp above 75 degrees Fahrenheit, but I’d like to put the lid on the tank and not have the risk of touching a hot lamp when I change their water and food. What do you guys use to heat your tanks? And what temperatures can to keep your temperatures at?

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Heating Issues

Post by JoeHermits » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:18 pm

So I don’t know what your climate is like but if your lamps aren’t enough you may have to supplement them with an under-tank heater (UTH).

Since they don’t get along with the deep substrate we use they go along the sides of the tank, not the bottom.

I use a single large UTH that keeps my tank at 75 F in the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
TheOnyxDragon

Heating Issues

Post by TheOnyxDragon » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:28 am

JoeHermits wrote:So I don’t know what your climate is like but if your lamps aren’t enough you may have to supplement them with an under-tank heater (UTH).

Since they don’t get along with the deep substrate we use they go along the sides of the tank, not the bottom.

I use a single large UTH that keeps my tank at 75 F in the winter.

We’ve tried an under tank heater in our smaller tank but it long kept it at about 65 degrees Fahrenheit.

Topic author
TheOnyxDragon

Post by TheOnyxDragon » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:32 am

TheOnyxDragon wrote:

avocadocrabbies

Post by avocadocrabbies » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:10 am

TheOnyxDragon wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:45 pm
I got my crabs a few months and I have them in a 55 gallon tank. I have a fogger, if that’s important and it might be cooling it down. I have 2 heating lamp fixtures (120 volts), but I can’t seem to get the temp past 77 degrees Fahrenheit. I’ve switched from a 50W ceramic to a 80W ceramic to a 100W Neodymium build them back to the 80W ceramic. The lamps are sticking into their tanks to keep the temp above 75 degrees Fahrenheit, but I’d like to put the lid on the tank and not have the risk of touching a hot lamp when I change their water and food. What do you guys use to heat your tanks? And what temperatures can to keep your temperatures at?
I thought ceramic lamps were known to cause temp to fluctuate, so they aren't recommended. I still have one as a backup, but I would definitely get a heating pad, UTH but it goes on the outside of a wall. I also have a 55gal, and this is what I use. https://zoomed.com/reptitherm-under-tank-heater-u-t-h/ you can probably get in at a store or on amazon too.
four crabbies: Pool Guy, Karen, Hurricane Sandy, Igor- 3 PPs and an E :)