Shell grit

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Elli

Shell grit

Post by Elli » Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:37 am

Hey guys sorry for all the questions (on here and Facebook). I have a new 75 gallon that i really want to set up right the first time. I was looking at adding amendments to the substrate (i know not everyone adds but i wanted to give it a go) but its almost impossible to find things like crushed oyster shell in Australia, i have tried online but most come from US and shipping is ridiculously expensive. I have seen some online purchases for medium shell grit that consist of just shells (no other supplements) but may or may not contain oyster shells in the mix. Could that be used to add to the sub in small amounts or does it have to specifically be oyster shell? Thank you :)

avocadocrabbies

Re: Shell grit

Post by avocadocrabbies » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:34 am

Elli wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:37 am
Hey guys sorry for all the questions (on here and Facebook). I have a new 75 gallon that i really want to set up right the first time. I was looking at adding amendments to the substrate (i know not everyone adds but i wanted to give it a go) but its almost impossible to find things like crushed oyster shell in Australia, i have tried online but most come from US and shipping is ridiculously expensive. I have seen some online purchases for medium shell grit that consist of just shells (no other supplements) but may or may not contain oyster shells in the mix. Could that be used to add to the sub in small amounts or does it have to specifically be oyster shell? Thank you :)
I've been on this forum for a while and I actually haven't read anything about substrate add-ins like oyster shell... I have seen oyster shell in the food department, though. I don't really think it's necessary if you can't find oyster shells exactly, personally I don't see any problems with medium shell grit, but I would wait for a more informed person to respond. Sorry!
four crabbies: Pool Guy, Karen, Hurricane Sandy, Igor- 3 PPs and an E :)

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:47 am

Even if it’s not specifically oyster, the shells are similar enough that it wouldn’t make a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Elli

Post by Elli » Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:50 pm

Perfect thank you

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:16 pm

Not sure of the products available to you, but chicken grit is usually oyster and coral - especially the ones for laying hens. Super cheap, too! Both dissolve relatively easily in acids (like stomach bile) as compared to regular shiney seashells, which is why they are the most common thing to find for poultry as it boosts egg production.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Crabalicious

Post by Crabalicious » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:02 pm

Hi, if you're after calcium you can sprinkle around crushed eggshells, lobster shells, crabs shells... they like to forage too, like in the wild. You can also buy cuttlebones in the bird section of the pet store, just stick it in the sand. Not sure if this was mentioned to you or not. :)

Topic author
Elli

Post by Elli » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:01 am

Crabalicious wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:02 pm
Hi, if you're after calcium you can sprinkle around crushed eggshells, lobster shells, crabs shells... they like to forage too, like in the wild. You can also buy cuttlebones in the bird section of the pet store, just stick it in the sand. Not sure if this was mentioned to you or not. :)
Thank you i do have cuttlebone in with them and have ordered some oyster shell from hermies kitchen as well as some other things :)