Crabs under for almost 2 years

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
ewyourfaceew

Crabs under for almost 2 years

Post by ewyourfaceew » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:11 pm

Hello!

I know it is a possibility that crabs can be under for long periods of time, but I have serious doubts that TWO of my crabs have been under for almost two years at the same time. I am moving in about a month and need to move my 60g tank that currently has 6 crabs in it.
4 are up, they have been angels and have been up for a long time now, and I am going to move them into temporary homes until I move. The issue with the two that are under is that I really don't want to touch a molting crab. I am 90% positive that they have passed, but I just cannot bring myself to dig for them. Should I just go for it and dig for them?

Crabby7Crabber

Re: Crabs under for almost 2 years

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:19 pm

2 years? I don't think living crabs stay under for that long. Is there a chance that you just haven't seen them moving around?
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:46 pm

That is an extremely long time, even for the most healthy crab to be down. It's hard to say if they swapped shells with crabs that were up and the original shell owners went down with new shells. It's always a tough decision to dig for crabs. I would probably leave the crabitat as the last thing to breakdown and move. Move the crabs you have up as soon as you are able, even if they are in a decent size tote for a few days or weeks. That will save more frustration of possibly having to dig for more crabs. When you do go digging be sure to have a few ISO containers just in case. Plan for the worst but hope for the best!
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Xenpurgisn@cht

Post by Xenpurgisn@cht » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:48 am

Basically with what motorcrab said ^^ but with a posts of evidence there's only so much time a crab can spend underground before they're forced to come up to the surface and replenish on food and water. The longest wait time is usually roughly 4 months.