Crab digging up the other

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Sat May 02, 2020 10:29 am

I currently have two PP‘s in a 10 gallon but I’m waiting for one of them to stop molting so I can move them to a 20 gallon. When I woke up in the morning and went to check on my hermit crabs like always one of them that’s not molting it just buried his self in the day and only comes out at night so I usually don’t see him but the other one that was molting I could see a little bit of the underneath side of a shell popping up thought it was very weird because it was it was the underneath side not the top side like I think if it was coming up from molting it would be The other way I can I see a little bit of it .what should I do? I went to ask my mom what she seen because she goes and checks on them late at night when they usually out and she said that The other one that was not molting was on top of that shell of the crab that had been molting it was poking out a little bit and it was look like it had its claws on that one. And remember the other night there’s no sign of him and why wouldn’t he come for food and water when he would be done please help me I don’t know what to do! do you think I should dig him up? Do you think I should fill up the emergency collum is it bad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Hermielover121 on Sat May 02, 2020 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Sat May 02, 2020 10:31 am

I really know not to dig up a crab but it’s almost at the surface and I’m really really scared. I don’t smell any thing but the tank always has this weird smell it’s not rotting and it’s not really seafood please help!!!!

Topic author
Hermielover121

Re: Crab digging up the other

Post by Hermielover121 » Sat May 02, 2020 10:39 am

Before they started molting they seem to be kind of friends they would always snuggle up close to each other but I’m really scared

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Sat May 02, 2020 11:32 am

Hermit crabs don't dig upside-down. If you do dig it up be sure to have a hide or container on hand to cover up the hole if there is a live crab in there. Do not rebury.

Topic author
Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Sat May 02, 2020 11:33 am

So I should take it up

Topic author
Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Sat May 02, 2020 11:34 am

I think I am I just really hope this goes well!!!

Topic author
Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Sat May 02, 2020 11:40 am

Oh well I Think that I really over thought this because I just went to take it up and it was a shell that look exactly like it because it to the same shell but didn’t have a crab in it and I’m pretty sure that’s just the extra shell that was not occupied that I guess one of the crabs just tried to bury!

Topic author
Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Sat May 02, 2020 11:41 am

Lol I guess my crab is still molting

Links

Post by Links » Sat May 02, 2020 11:43 am

How do you know it was molting in the first place? Is your substrate deep enough for them to dig down far enough? I think HCA recommends a minimum of 6 inches or 3 times the size of your largest crab. More is better but that’s the min.

Also I’ve never witnessed shell jacking, aggression or mating but I think aggression would involve one crab turning over another crab on its “back” so that the aggressor could get directly into the shell opening to pull on the defending crab which would be most likely be tucked inside its shell. But if it’s digging up a molter then the molter could be totally defenseless depending on the stage of the molt. And I’d think for mating both crabs would be upright and one would be on top of the other and the crab on the bottom wouldn’t be tucked inside her shell. And they both briefly come out of their shells (almost completely) so the male can fertilize the eggs the female is carrying. Also sometimes I wonder if they are just inspecting a shell or “checking” on a friend and not being aggressive. Hope someone else that knows more can give insight.

Edit: sorry I didn’t see any comments other than the op’s first post. I thought I was the first to comment here. I see what you have discovered. Carry on! Lol

Topic author
Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Sat May 02, 2020 11:47 am

Oh well my substrate is 6 inches and I am pretty sure that that was just and extra shell he was just playing around because we have two that are very similar. Also the one that was molting has been molting for a little more then 5 weeks

Topic author
Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Sat May 02, 2020 11:48 am

Oh sorry I didn’t see your edit so that’s why I responded lol

Wlfwo

Post by Wlfwo » Sun May 03, 2020 3:47 pm

It's easy to worry when a shell top shows up. I've learned not to. I probably have more shells under than I do up top. Somebody is always under, so I'm to afraid to dig them out. I expect they get shoved around when one of them goes through the area. I do reach in and nab the occasional one that gets left close to the surface of the tunnel.

Sent from my SM-J337A using Tapatalk

I can hear my 75g whispering from the barn.

Topic author
Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Sun May 03, 2020 3:48 pm

Yep they are always trying to freak us out