Favorite foods?

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
Jen.miller

Favorite foods?

Post by Jen.miller » Wed May 06, 2020 8:04 pm

hey all!

I've been giving my crabs a varied diet (both fresh and dried fruit of multiple kinds, plus lots of protein options)

I've only noticed anyone eating when it was mango or chicken.

Are these little dudes really that picky? lol. Tonight they have coconut, dried cherry, peaches, and meal worms. Hopefully they will eat!

What foods have been your best successes?

Crabby7Crabber

Re: Favorite foods?

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Wed May 06, 2020 8:09 pm

My hermies personally love chicken, popcorn, and shrimp. I think if you gave them some popcorn they'd tear it up!
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

Topic author
Jen.miller

Post by Jen.miller » Wed May 06, 2020 8:10 pm

I'll definitely try that! I could go for a snack myself lol

nataliextodd

Post by nataliextodd » Wed May 06, 2020 8:58 pm

Mine LOVE coconut flour. I give them a huge pile once a week and it’s the only thing they “lick” clean lol

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Thu May 07, 2020 2:35 am

Crabs are like little kids with foods. They may want to eat something all the time for a week. Then just decide they don't want it any more, or not for weeks.
The easiest option is to have 3-4 different food mixes and rotate through them every other day. A lot of food shops on Etsy offer well balanced mixes that cover all their dietary needs.

Here 's a link to our resource section. There are a ton of shops. Most shops offer free shipping if you spend $35 or more. $35 buys you a lot of crab food! Especially if you only have a few crabs.
viewtopic.php?f=122&t=119315
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
Jen.miller

Post by Jen.miller » Thu May 07, 2020 11:59 pm

Tonight's offering was meal worms, dried coconut (the only things they ate last night), along with mango, pears, and oatmeal (original oats, not microwave kind with all the added crap that >I< think is delicious lol) coconut flour and fresh coconut are on the list for the next time we go to the store. Any other suggestions? Proteins that your crabbies like?

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Sat May 09, 2020 6:33 pm

Chicken! Shrimp! And if you go to the pet store (I'm not sure if they have it in the grocery store), head on down the bird section and grab some (more) cuttlebone! Don't forget the unsalted popcorn. Your crabs could be running around, having fun, and you could just sit back, watch, and enjoy the snack (I find it very amusing to watch mine run around)! B)
Edit: If I said something you already have but are running low on, make sure to get more, as your crabs must like it if you're running out :lol:
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

BlookittiePC

Post by BlookittiePC » Sat May 09, 2020 7:03 pm

I agree with the shrimp and popcorn! The crabs love those! I also thought it's worth mentioning banana, since my crab can't get enough of it and usually you can just cut them a little piece when you eat one yourself! It's resourceful and a crab favorite! Honey is also a good and popular treat. :D
Two amazing PPs: Jarvis, who has been with me since 7/14/18, and NewCrab (still unnamed) since 1/11/21!
And a tortoiseshell kitty: Delia

I'm still pretty new to this and I'm trying to learn all I can!

Paguroidea

Post by Paguroidea » Sat May 09, 2020 11:14 pm

dried oak leaves off the ground in our front yard. We make them all sorts of specialty seed blends and flower mixes but they love those oak leaves! Also shrimp tails.

nkurz

Post by nkurz » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:23 pm

My two LOVE carrot. They eat that for hours. They also like river shrimp that I bought. One time, Jacques took the shrimp everywhere he went in the tank until it was gone. They also like to eat chunks of hard boiled eggs.They used to love eating strawberries and would eat almost all of it, but recently they haven't taken as much of an interest in it.

Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:59 pm

I recently noticed mine LOVED this homemade dry food mix I made for them. It has organic dried coconut, little bit of crushed peanuts, almonds and cashews, a lot of whole flax seeds and crushed egg shells. Are used a motor and pestle to crush everything. Very easy and they love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk