Hygrometer/thermometers keep breaking

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Gleasoce

Hygrometer/thermometers keep breaking

Post by Gleasoce » Sun May 17, 2020 3:59 pm

Hello!
I followed the advice of this sub and purchased a digital thermometer and humidity gauge from Walmart. It worked great for a few months, then the display started to disappear until the numbers were no longer readable. So I went to Home Depot and got a similar one from there, but after a few months the same thing happened. I’m assuming it’s water damage because of the constant high humidity in the crabitat, but I’m not sure. How do I avoid this problem in the future?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motörcrab

Re: Hygrometer/thermometers keep breaking

Post by Motörcrab » Sun May 17, 2020 6:31 pm

What brand do you have?
Where is it in your tank?
Near the substrate hanging up?
Do you mist?
Can the crabs climb on it?
Is there any corrosion on the battery terminals or batteries?

Sorry for the million questions. They may help us figure out why you are having this problem.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Sun May 17, 2020 7:36 pm

I’m sorry that I cannot answer your question but I have a question my own that is related to this. For my hygrometer and thermometer one of them fell down and is not stick anymore. It was the thermometer I still can check it but it’s leaning up against the sub by the wall I’m wondering if that will break it overtime? how to hang it up?

Topic author
Gleasoce

Post by Gleasoce » Sun May 17, 2020 7:41 pm

Motörcrab wrote:What brand do you have?
Where is it in your tank?
Near the substrate hanging up?
Do you mist?
Can the crabs climb on it?
Is there any corrosion on the battery terminals or batteries?

Sorry for the million questions. They may help us figure out why you are having this problem.
AcuRite Digital Weather Station. It’s stuck on the glass on the back of the terrarium in the top left corner, not near substrate. We do mist! We didn’t check for corrosion yet? Thanks for the help!

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun May 17, 2020 7:52 pm

Gleasoce wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 7:41 pm
AcuRite Digital Weather Station. It’s stuck on the glass on the back of the terrarium in the top left corner, not near substrate. We do mist! We didn’t check for corrosion yet? Thanks for the help!

When you do mist it may help to remove the gauge until you are done misting. That will help to keep moisture Frome getting directly on it.

Some people seem don't have much luck with their gauges. Some only work for six months to a year. Others last much longer.

If the battery terminals get rusty or corroded the gauge will stop working. The screen may look like a weak battery and cut in and out.

Perhaps it could be a weak battery too. I found that generic batteries don't last nearly as long as name brands.

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun May 17, 2020 7:57 pm

Hermielover121 wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 7:36 pm
I’m sorry that I cannot answer your question but I have a question my own that is related to this. For my hygrometer and thermometer one of them fell down and is not stick anymore. It was the thermometer I still can check it but it’s leaning up against the sub by the wall I’m wondering if that will break it overtime? how to hang it up?

What type of gauge do you have?
Depending on the type of thermostat the humidity, and sand can easily mess with the readings.

We make holders (little boxes) for our gauges out of crafting mesh. Then we hand them from the suction cups or the center brace in our tank.

Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Sun May 17, 2020 7:58 pm

Ok thanks I will do that

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon May 18, 2020 12:27 am

I would agree with Motörcrab. Your issue is the misting. I have had mine for years without issues, but I don't mist.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com