My upgraded tank!

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
asiankanye

My upgraded tank!

Post by asiankanye » Sun May 17, 2020 4:03 pm

It’s finally finished. I’ve been working on this for about 3 months now. 150 gallon tank about, glass/plastic wrap roof, 80 degrees and 75% humidity. Suggestions appreciated!Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hermielover121

My upgraded tank!

Post by Hermielover121 » Sun May 17, 2020 5:53 pm

Wow awesome

Maybe add deeper pools

Xenocrab

Re: My upgraded tank!

Post by Xenocrab » Sun May 17, 2020 6:05 pm

Deeper pools, more sub, more sand.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

Topic author
asiankanye

Post by asiankanye » Sun May 17, 2020 6:10 pm

Ok, I will try to get some deeper pools.
I think the sub is deep enough, as it stretches below what you can see to the bottom of the black lining. I can try to persuade my dad to get some play sand from the Home Depot.

Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Sun May 17, 2020 6:17 pm

Oh also you should probably get a better hygrometer and thermometer since that type you have is not very good

Topic author
asiankanye

Post by asiankanye » Sun May 17, 2020 6:21 pm

Ok, will do. I heard that you can get some pretty cheap and accurate ones at Walmart.
EDIT: I forgot to mention that I did do the salt + water humidity test, and the hygrometer part seemed to work well.

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun May 17, 2020 7:43 pm

150 gallons! Awesome!

I never consider a crabitat finished. You will find you will always want to change something somehow.

Definitely consider getting a wheel or spinner! Crabs Love them! I consider them essential to any crabitat!

I'm all about bigger pools. With having a 150 gallon tank you could easily go with 1 gallon or larger pools. Even adding filters and waterfalls! Going with cycled pools really saves a lot of time not chasing to change water every day. I have been doing about a 50% water change every month. My crabs seem to really like them.they are a pain until they become cycled but once they are it's a lot less work.

Xeno and I always look at total area above the substrate. We always try to add lots of climbing stuff above the substrate. We see our crabs climbing as much if not more than on the substrate. They really love climbing everywhere!

I noticed some fish net going up to your mosh pit. The net is safe, but always make sure it is secured very well so a crab can't climb between the net and the pit. If there is one spot in an entire tank a crab can potentially get stuck, one will find it! We also had a crab decide because they could fit through the netting their shell could too. We ended up cutting the net so we could free him. We can't say for sure he was stuck. We didn't want to risk it either. Just keep a close eye on the net.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
asiankanye

Post by asiankanye » Sun May 17, 2020 7:47 pm

Got it, thanks!
I also might buy one or two of your curiosity cubes, I already talked to my dad about it and he seems pretty ok with it, lol

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Sun May 17, 2020 7:53 pm

Awesome tank! Motor and Xeno got everything just about. Congrats :D
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

Topic author
asiankanye

Post by asiankanye » Sun May 17, 2020 8:01 pm

Thanks!

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun May 17, 2020 10:17 pm

asiankanye wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 7:47 pm
Got it, thanks!
I also might buy one or two of your curiosity cubes, I already talked to my dad about it and he seems pretty ok with it, lol
Awesome ! Thank You. Be sure if you do order go with the first class mail option. Shipping prices are pretty crazy. Someone justordered two cubes and chose priority shipping! The shipping was well over the price of two cubes! I thought our calculations got messed up because it was double the price! I would rather wait an extra day or two for them to show up than pay that much shipping.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
asiankanye

Post by asiankanye » Mon May 18, 2020 7:47 am

Got it, thanks!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon May 18, 2020 1:36 pm

Hi there! Hermit crabs love to climb. They are also known as tree crabs. IF you DO NOT have your yard sprayed with fertilizers or pesticides AND your town/city doesn't spray for mosquitoes (you would need to call city hall), you could use branches from trees on the safe list to put in your crabitat. Examples would be Oak, Maple, Sweetgum. You would want to bake these branches to kill any bugs that are on them.

If that isn't an option, you can purchase wood at reptile stores or cholla from craft stores. The cholla can be zipped together. Cholla can also be purchased off of Etsy or Ebay. You just want to make sure that no pesticides or cleaners have been used on them.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
asiankanye

Post by asiankanye » Mon May 18, 2020 10:22 pm

Thanks for the info, i’m rummaging through my garage a lot more now to try to find some materials that i can use as decoration and climbing.

And also, Motorcrab, my dad just placed an order on a curiosity cube, excited for it to arrive!

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Tue May 19, 2020 3:19 am

We got the order. I'll get it together tonight and have it out tomorrow. The shipping cost will be adjusted too.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.