Crab molted. Unknowingly picked it up not knowing it was molting and now it has only 1 leg and both claws left

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Andythecrab

Crab molted. Unknowingly picked it up not knowing it was molting and now it has only 1 leg and both claws left

Post by Andythecrab » Sun May 17, 2020 2:39 pm

One day i looked at my crab and he was sitting there half out of his shell. I thought it best to move him since the other crabs are a tad aggressive. the next day after isolating him he had molted. but i noticed that three of the legs were not hollow like the other parts of the shell.

I have no idea what to do. How to help or if to leave him be. What to feed? Im lost and need help.

Thanks

asiankanye

Re: Crab molted. Unknowingly picked it up not knowing it was molting and now it has only 1 leg and both claws left

Post by asiankanye » Sun May 17, 2020 7:52 pm

I'm not an expert, the only thing I know is that you need to feed a LOT of calcium after molting because their exoskeleton is extremely soft right after a molt. You may want to post in the emergency forum if you feel the need to.

Crabby7Crabber

Re: Crab molted. Unknowingly picked it up not knowing it was molting and now it has only 1 leg and both claws left

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Sun May 17, 2020 8:16 pm

Calcium is a big yes food wise. As soon as you can please create another topic in the emergency forum answering the questions below so people can understand the situation and help you more! This is almost exactly like another topic, so please check out the link below as well! The "Crabby wheelchair" idea is genius, so thank Motorcrab! His youtube videos, I believe, will be super helpful in this situation. hope your crabbie is doing okay right now :love::
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=121756

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon May 18, 2020 12:14 am

Andythecrab wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 2:39 pm
One day i looked at my crab and he was sitting there half out of his shell. I thought it best to move him since the other crabs are a tad aggressive. the next day after isolating him he had molted. but i noticed that three of the legs were not hollow like the other parts of the shell.

I have no idea what to do. How to help or if to leave him be. What to feed? Im lost and need help.

Thanks
Hello! This crab needs to be isolated and given his exoskeleton to eat. Crabs typically dig down to molt, so it would be wonderful for you to fill out the emergency template so we can figure out what is going on to help you. In the meantime, don't handle your crab, and keep him in 80/80 heat and humidity. We are here for you! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Andythecrab

Post by Andythecrab » Mon May 18, 2020 10:39 am

GotButterflies wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 12:14 am
Hello! This crab needs to be isolated and given his exoskeleton to eat. Crabs typically dig down to molt, so it would be wonderful for you to fill out the emergency template so we can figure out what is going on to help you. In the meantime, don't handle your crab, and keep him in 80/80 heat and humidity. We are here for you! :)
Done

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon May 18, 2020 12:18 pm

@Andythecrab - Can you fill out the emergency template for us?
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com