Covid-19 Lysol & Fresh Foods

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
CrabbyCancerian

Covid-19 Lysol & Fresh Foods

Post by CrabbyCancerian » Wed May 20, 2020 8:34 am

I just wanted to post here because I care so much about my pets & my crabby has been doing so well.

I’ve been feeding my crab Cora fresh foods lately, as one should. Mostly, it’s just been apples that came out of a bag.

However, yesterday I asked my aunt to grab me a bell pepper for the crab & the bunny while she was at the store. Because of Covid-19 she has been spraying down her reusable grocery bags with Lysol like crazy. She brought home the pepper in one of the grocery bags, with no little plastic grocery bag...just loose. (Of course, I washed it really well before feeding)

Here is my concern-There had to have been some Lysol residue on the bag from the last time she sprayed it. I know that crabs are very sensitive and can even be harmed by things like perfume & hand lotion while handling them.

I left the pepper in the tank for a while, then got concerned and dumped it out in the garbage...but I can tell that Cora picked at it a little bit.

Would traces of Lysol residue in the grocery back be enough to harm my crab? In the meantime, I am just going to stick to feeding canned foods like chicken peas until Covid is over :oops:
1 toy poodle, 1 cat, 1 rabbit, 1 purple pincher. Crazy animal lover.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Covid-19 Lysol & Fresh Foods

Post by wodesorel » Wed May 20, 2020 8:55 am

I think you're probably erring on the side of extreme caution, but it's also what I would have done. The active ingredients in classic Lysol are known to be extremely toxic to aquatic life. Would second hand exposure through a veggie really be enough to cause harm? Probably not. So long as you can get bagged stuff, it shouldn't be an issue with getting them good food in the meantime!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
CrabbyCancerian

Post by CrabbyCancerian » Wed May 20, 2020 9:00 am

wodesorel wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 8:55 am
I think you're probably erring on the side of extreme caution, but it's also what I would have done. The active ingredients in classic Lysol are known to be extremely toxic to aquatic life. Would second hand exposure through a veggie really be enough to cause harm? Probably not. So long as you can get bagged stuff, it shouldn't be an issue with getting them good food in the meantime!
Thanks for the reply. I will probably be bringing a bag to the grocery store that is free of Lysol next time, just to be safe.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed May 20, 2020 10:13 am

This doesn't pertain to your question; but think it has been recommended to wash reusable shopping bags between uses during this time. You would remove the plastic bottom. Then your aunt could save her Lysol ;)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
CrabbyCancerian

Post by CrabbyCancerian » Wed May 20, 2020 10:42 am

GotButterflies wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 10:13 am
This doesn't pertain to your question; but think it has been recommended to wash reusable shopping bags between uses during this time. You would remove the plastic bottom. Then your aunt could save her Lysol ;)
That does sound like a better solution!