Bacterial bloom questions ( and another heat mat question)

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Hermielover121

Bacterial bloom questions ( and another heat mat question)

Post by Hermielover121 » Wed May 20, 2020 8:55 pm

Hi I am just setting up a 20 gallon and I have all new sub. I have most eco earth and a bit of sand. It is not the proper ratio but it’s what I had. I had to mix it with non decloronated water since it was compacted bricks and I used A LOT of water it was pretty damp I left it out for a couple of days and then I added I little safe play sand and added I bit more water. Is that still ok that it was non delcronated water I used all I had . I heard a lot about bacterial blooms lately and I am wondering how they come about. Is it from using to much water? Sorry I don’t really know anything about them. Just want to know info so I know that it is safe.

Well I have another question also but thought I was unnecessary to make another post so, I got a new heat pad. It is 14 wats and to get to the right temp I have to turn it up pretty high. My problem is that since it is wide and not long I have to put it below the sub on the bottom so I don’t know how to make it so that the can’t touch it under ground. Should I put mesh in front of it?

Sorry this is a lot
Last edited by Hermielover121 on Wed May 20, 2020 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Bacterial bloom questions ( and another heat mat question)

Post by JoeHermits » Wed May 20, 2020 11:20 pm

I’ve used non-dechlorinated water in the past, though I usually don’t. The chlorine will eventually evaporate but any heavy metals will remain. Hermit crabs will occasionally eat their substrate but it doesn’t make up a large portion and any metals would be trace amounts.

Bacterial blooms appear when oversaturation creates areas without oxygen. So, yes, too much water can cause a bloom. You can check your substrate for oversaturation or flooding by sticking a straw or chopstick all the way down along the side of the tank. If there’s water in the hole you created, there’s too much.

Also, the heater goes on the outside of the tank, so you don’t need a mesh to separate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu May 21, 2020 3:52 am

If it seems too wet, it probably is, and that is the risk for bacterial blooms. Stick a fan in/on the tank for a day or so and keep mixing it up until it feels moist but fluffy all the way through. (Sort of like good take-out rice.) Starting off with substrate that is the right consistency is a huge part of having a healthy tank.

I also don't worry much about regular water for the substrate. Even if it is chloramines, the pH of the substrate will break it down and it'll be gone in a few days.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Links

Post by Links » Thu May 21, 2020 5:35 am

Hermielover121 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 8:55 pm

Well I have another question also but thought I was unnecessary to make another post so, I got a new heat pad. It is 14 wats and to get to the right temp I have to turn it up pretty high. My problem is that since it is wide and not long I have to put it below the sub on the bottom so I don’t know how to make it so that the can’t touch it under ground. Should I put mesh in front of it?

Sorry this is a lotImage

What kind of heater do you have? UTH ultratherm is what I use and I have it on the outside of the tank along the back glass. It is only 7 in x 48in. So it covered the length of the tank but 7 in isn’t very tall. I should’ve gotten a taller one but I’ve made it work. I also completely covered the back and sides with foam board insulation using tape to hold it on and to make a tight seal. Some heaters can’t be covered by insulation but can be insulated around if that makes sense.
I also have a thermostat set on 81. When it reads 81 my zoomed thermometer reads 83. When the lights go off the heater will stay on all the time. And the temp stays at 77-78. All winter my basement, where my tank is, was about 65°. Now weather is warmer so it might be 67° down there now. Therefore the 77-78 temp at night is now 78-79.
Oh... I also have a blanket over my lid and draped over the front. That helps hold in some heat and I draped it over the front to help reduce condensation.
I also have a very small fan in the tank (usb pc fan would be better) and it will completely remove the condensation without the blanket draped over the front and if I leave it on long enough (weeks/months) the surface of the sub will eventually dry out. I have the fan off. After I lost my first crab in January I turned the fan off because I didn’t know what caused the problem so I turned it off. The fan does lower the humidity some but I still was able to keep it at or above 80%. I’d like to use it again but I don’t think it needs to run 24/7 so maybe I can put it on a timer or get a weaker fan. Although it isn’t that strong, I can’t feel it on the opposite side of the tank so I don’t know if a pc fan would be any different.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu May 21, 2020 6:48 am

Hello. I just wanted to state that the heater doesn't go on the bottom of your tank. It goes on the back or the side on the outside of the tank to heat the air. As crabbers we don't use them as they are intended for. :)

I hope I explained this for you to understand. You don't want to use it to heat the substrate.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Thu May 21, 2020 11:26 am

I did put it on the back on the outside but I heard that it can’t be below the sub, even on the outside. I don’t know if that’s true but I thought so.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu May 21, 2020 11:27 am

It can be below the sub, I use mine that way. You just have to monitor more closely and make sure the sub isn't drying out too much.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Thu May 21, 2020 11:31 am

Ok thank you
I will keep an eye on it