New here! Hygrometer calibration question

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
HermieCrabs

New here! Hygrometer calibration question

Post by HermieCrabs » Thu May 21, 2020 8:51 am

Hi, we are brand new here! And pretty new at hermit crab stewardship too, but trying really hard to get everything right. This is our first post.

We have two analog hygrometers in the tank currently but they vary widely on their measurements. For instance right now one says 82% and one says 85%, but last night they were further apart. I think one may just be more sensitive than the other.

I am adding a digital Acurite thermometer/hygrometer to our setup, to try to get a more precise reading. Last night I put it in a sealed food storage container with a shot glass half-full of wet salt. But this morning it was only at 65% after about twelve hours. So I've moved it to a ziplock bag instead; the percentage dipped down into the 50s and is now climbing back into the 60s again. I'll leave it all day to see what happens.

So my question is - what percentage do your own digital hygrometers deviate? Is this salt test really reliable? And how much difference do you all regularly take into account, before you just throw up your hands and try something else?

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New here! Hygrometer calibration question

Post by JoeHermits » Thu May 21, 2020 1:02 pm

My last one read eight percent too high for two years before I replaced it. I got a new humidistat instead of a regular hygrometer that reads four percent too high.

Since hygrometers are fairly prone to breaking down I try to calibrate mine about once a month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri May 22, 2020 3:16 pm

I've been fortunate enough to have accurate ones. I use the Accurite ones. I don't use storage containers. I do a ziplock bag to check mine. Accurite does have several different kinds - I go for the cheap one. They used to be $8 - Now they are $11
https://smile.amazon.com/AcuRite-00325- ... 184&sr=8-2
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Fri May 22, 2020 6:59 pm

I put my hygrometer and salt inside 2 ziplocks to make sure it's as airtight as possible. I give it 24 hours before I decide to finish calibrating. My one meter was a couple percent off, but I was able to manually calibrate it (it had a button to move the % up or down). My other meter is 2% too low. But both of my meters tend to read at 99% anyway.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My Pets: 2 Pomeranians, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 13 hermit crabs.
"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Topic author
HermieCrabs

Post by HermieCrabs » Mon May 25, 2020 4:43 pm

Thank you all! I have it in the tank now and it seems to be responding well and consistently... maybe I just didn't do the salt test accurately! I never got it to budge that way. But the crabs seem happy in there, and the hygrometer seems quite sensitive and responsive... fingers crossed it holds up!