looking for new crabitat

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Hermiehomes4Gretchen

looking for new crabitat

Post by Hermiehomes4Gretchen » Sat May 23, 2020 10:13 am

Hi! I'm looking to upgrade to a 20 gal. I have a small crab and a medium. I want to have at least 7.5 inches of hight for substrate and I. The problem is, all the 20 gal aquariums are only 12 inches high and that doesn't leave much room. I need some advice . Where do you all get your aquariums/ can I just do a little less substrate? I also want to leave some room for them to grow and would like to make second levels and stuff but can't do that with 12 inches. Thanks!

Hermielover121

Re: looking for new crabitat

Post by Hermielover121 » Sat May 23, 2020 11:04 am

Well I just upgraded mine to a 20 gallon long. If you want it taller then you need to get a 20 gallon tall. I really like the long one because you get so much more ground space. Then if you get the long you won’t have that much space to climb, so I made an easy topper tank. Using a 2.5 gallon tank on top and I am going to just use some tape to hold it on. That way they can have some space to climb when I put mesh and bamboo bars up. Also fake vines are going to come in handy for me but if you want to find a 20 tall then I am not the expert but maybe try to look into getting a used one.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat May 23, 2020 1:02 pm

You could always purchase a used larger aquarium on Craigslist, OfferUp, Letgo, Facebook Marketplace, etc (if that is an option). If that isn't an option, you just kind of have to get creative. Or, you could opt to go for the 20 gallon tall. One more option would be to add a topper. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Hermiehomes4Gretchen

Post by Hermiehomes4Gretchen » Sun May 24, 2020 1:35 pm

Hermielover121 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:04 am
Well I just upgraded mine to a 20 gallon long. If you want it taller then you need to get a 20 gallon tall. I really like the long one because you get so much more ground space. Then if you get the long you won’t have that much space to climb, so I made an easy topper tank. Using a 2.5 gallon tank on top and I am going to just use some tape to hold it on. That way they can have some space to climb when I put mesh and bamboo bars up. Also fake vines are going to come in handy for me but if you want to find a 20 tall then I am not the expert but maybe try to look into getting a used one.
Thank you so much!! I'm trying to figure out how you would put a tank on top and have a lid... Can you send a pic or explain? Thanks again!!

Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Sun May 24, 2020 9:37 pm

I just posted a topic on this so I will use that. How to stack tanks
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? ... source=app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun May 24, 2020 10:15 pm

Hermiehomes4Gretchen wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 1:35 pm
Thank you so much!! I'm trying to figure out how you would put a tank on top and have a lid... Can you send a pic or explain? Thanks again!!
I have toppers on all three of my tanks - however I used exo-terras as my toppers so they have doors. I also used duct tape to secure my toppers to the tank. Here is the thread for mine!:
http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... r#p1063932
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com