Welcoming Felicity Crab-19

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
craboloading

Welcoming Felicity Crab-19

Post by craboloading » Mon May 25, 2020 10:18 am

I've had my two PP's for almost a year and a half. Been wanting to add one more for the longest time, but wanted to try to avoid purchasing from a pet store. Months and months of scouring Craigslist, etc and nothing turned up. I finally decided yesterday to just purchase from the same local mom & pop store I got my other 2 from.

So I show up and the store is in complete chaos. Moving trucks in the parking lot, store packed with people. I can't find a staff person anywhere. I finally do & ask if they have any crabs, he just points to an aquarium and said I could look myself but he didn't think so. The screen lid was COATED in dust...idk how there was food and water still in the cage as it looked untended for a long time. Typical terrible conditions: heat lamp, no humidity, etc. I lift up the foliage and find a few crab limbs. No crabs though. I look inside a cork round and I see just tiny white legs holding onto the inside. I gentle shake the crab out & honestly...if I hadn't just seen the crabs legs holding onto the cork, I wouldn't have seen this crab. Her shell was so big on her and when she pulled all the way back you could only see her BP at a very specific angle. I figured this was my new crab, seeing as she was the only one.

I looked around for a staff person...again none. I just held her in my hands and waited at the register. Finally my turn, I tell the guy I had a hermit crab to buy. His literal response was "Has it peed on you yet?" Rest of checkout was filled with awkward lines similar to that "Do you want to sign off on its life? Nah. You won't care if it dies. It's just a hermit crab. You're an adult, you understand they just don't live long." Super cringy.

I get her home and place her in the tank. Y'all, no exaggeration, it took her 25 min to come out and explore. I was able to confirm she does have all her limbs. And was able to spot her muching on some food and meeting one of my other crabs last night.

I really, really didn't want to buy a hermit crab. But seriously, I think she would have been thrown away. Whenever it came time for them to pack up animals to move to their new location, they never would have noticed her in that huge shell. They didn't even know they had any crabs left in the tank.

Now just hoping she eats well and destresses. I want this little girl to pull through and have a successful molt with me. Just don't want PPS to get her.
3 PPs: Beacon the Two Pound Crab of Light and Purity & Scuttles the Shadow Crab of Darkness and Desparity ~ 2/10/19 and Felicity Crab-19 ~ 5/24/20
1 Orange Cat: Chloe Hannah ~ 4/2015

Hermiesguardian

Re: Welcoming Felicity Crab-19

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon May 25, 2020 10:33 am

Yay for you! And her! I would have done the same thing.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Mon May 25, 2020 10:36 am

Awe poor little crabs hate it that they treat hermit crabs like that hope she is okay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Mon May 25, 2020 10:59 am

Dare I ask how much they charge for a crab at a pet store?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
craboloading

Post by craboloading » Mon May 25, 2020 11:21 am

curlysister wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 10:59 am
Dare I ask how much they charge for a crab at a pet store?
They charged me $12.99. PetSmart and Petco are usually cheaper, but if I'm buying a hermit crab I'd rather spend a few extra dollars at a local business.
3 PPs: Beacon the Two Pound Crab of Light and Purity & Scuttles the Shadow Crab of Darkness and Desparity ~ 2/10/19 and Felicity Crab-19 ~ 5/24/20

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Mon May 25, 2020 1:09 pm

That's not too bad....I was just curious, thanks for answering.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Mon May 25, 2020 7:06 pm

Best wishes on her recovery :love:: At least she'll get proper care now!
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Mon May 25, 2020 8:00 pm

Aw that story is so heartbreaking! I totally understand what you mean about not buying a crab. I'm the same way. But I would have done the exact same thing in your shoes and brought that little crabby home. Shame on that store for treating those poor crabs like that. Thank you for rescuing her!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My Pets: 2 Pomeranians, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 13 hermit crabs.
"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Topic author
craboloading

Post by craboloading » Thu May 28, 2020 12:13 pm

Thanks all for welcoming my new crabbo.

She has been very sneaky, haven't managed to see her since her second night in the tank. My two larger boys are above ground and very active at the moment, so hopefully if she is underground she feels very secluded/safe.

Keeping the food bowl stocked with good things. Just changed up the dry food dish with: THCP basic diet, worm castings, dried clover, dried calendula, flaxseed meal, dried octopus, dried grasshopper, crushed oyster shell, seaweed, and all sprinkled with blue spirulina powder. Hope she is fueling up while I can't see her. :lol: