New crabs !

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
22pony22

Re: New crabs !

Post by 22pony22 » Tue May 19, 2020 12:05 pm

Called Petsmart before going was told that yes they did have 2 hermit crabs and yes I could buy them. Got to the store to buy one- was told that I could not buy one- did not say why. Called two other Petsmart in city and was told they are sold out. Called the store I was just at- was told that they must of sold them over the weekend (even though I called on weekend to see if I could buy one) and they wouldn’t be getting more hermit crabs until MAYBE July!

Will Happy be okay till then without a friend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
22pony22
Current pets: Happy, Crabcake, Blue and Becca.
RIP: Peaches, Fred, Fishy, Goldie, Buddy, Hero, Nemo, Star, Aqua, Indy, King T. Hermy, Frogi, Grog, Yggorf, #4, Dude, Shelli and Bashful.

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Tue May 19, 2020 1:22 pm

Yes, Happy will be okay being alone for a little bit.

Topic author
22pony22

Post by 22pony22 » Fri May 29, 2020 6:43 pm

I thought they were sold out of Hermit Crabs till July. Today is my Birthday and I just received a new hermit crab. The crab is currently in a shell that looks like a turbo pancake. LOL. The opening of the shell is 7/8 inches. Haven't had a good look at him because he's super shy. Was almost out to start moving and I accidently moved my head and he backed into shell. He is in the same tank as Happy but hasn't met Happy yet (Happy started digging a hole yesterday--took a break overnight then resumed digging and went under this morning). I just refilled the food dish this morning. Hope the new guy eats it so it doesn't go to waste. Hope he gets out of the store shell cause it looks super weird. I keep my shells in a pile behind my water dishes at the back left of the tank. I have a zoo med climbing branch "bridge" to them.

Does anyone have a list of all sizes in order from smallest to biggest. Trying to figure out what I have and what I might need to get.
22pony22
RIP: Peaches, Fred, Fishy, Goldie, Buddy, Hero, Nemo, Star, Aqua, Indy, King T. Hermy, Frogi, Grog, Yggorf, #4, Dude, Shelli and Bashful.

Topic author
22pony22

Post by 22pony22 » Fri May 29, 2020 6:46 pm

22pony22

Topic author
22pony22

Post by 22pony22 » Fri May 29, 2020 7:10 pm

I looked up names for Hermit crabs and the only name that leapt out at me was "CrabCake" so that's what I am naming this new crab.
22pony22

Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Fri May 29, 2020 7:28 pm

Awe so cute
Happy birthday That shell really is something lol

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Fri May 29, 2020 8:05 pm

Happy birthday! And the new crabby is adorable :D
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

Topic author
22pony22

Post by 22pony22 » Sat May 30, 2020 6:05 am

Thank you!

As it turns out this morning Happy just didn’t want to celebrate my birthday with me. He’s back up on the surface LOL.

Crabcake was last seen in the coconut hide went I went down to watch TV. No idea where that one is now. Hope he ate something before going down- if that’s were he is.

22pony22

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat May 30, 2020 1:57 pm

22pony22 wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 6:43 pm
I thought they were sold out of Hermit Crabs till July. Today is my Birthday and I just received a new hermit crab. The crab is currently in a shell that looks like a turbo pancake. LOL. The opening of the shell is 7/8 inches. Haven't had a good look at him because he's super shy. Was almost out to start moving and I accidently moved my head and he backed into shell. He is in the same tank as Happy but hasn't met Happy yet (Happy started digging a hole yesterday--took a break overnight then resumed digging and went under this morning). I just refilled the food dish this morning. Hope the new guy eats it so it doesn't go to waste. Hope he gets out of the store shell cause it looks super weird. I keep my shells in a pile behind my water dishes at the back left of the tank. I have a zoo med climbing branch "bridge" to them.

Does anyone have a list of all sizes in order from smallest to biggest. Trying to figure out what I have and what I might need to get.
Yesterday was my birthday too!
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
22pony22

Post by 22pony22 » Sat May 30, 2020 2:01 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote: Yesterday was my birthday too!
Really! That’s cool. This one was a rare one for me. 29 on the 29th.

22pony22

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat May 30, 2020 2:49 pm

22pony22 wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 2:01 pm
Really! That’s cool. This one was a rare one for me. 29 on the 29th.

Oh wow. I'm way beyond that. Lol
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
22pony22

Post by 22pony22 » Sun May 31, 2020 8:41 am

Happy and Crabcake have yet to actually meet each other.

Happy stayed buried for my entire birthday (LOL rude) and every time I assume he's molting and start recording the date in my notebook. He comes back out again--eats my moapi wood- the food dish is definitely full and was put in the tank on May 29. Then digs another crater sized hole in the tank and disappears again.

Crabcake--I haven't actually seen walking around. Because he will run back into the shell asap as soon as he senses me looking at him. He was last seen in the hide at roughly 9pm on May 29. Did not see him at all yesterday. When I received him at 7:00pm on my Birthday he was in a container with wet paper towel and moss. My mom bought him at 11:20am that morning. Did not see him eat anything (unless he was eating the moss during the day) or go in either of the water dishes. Hoping that if he is indeed molting that it goes well and he's able to molt all limbs correctly and completely and none of the issues that happened to Bashful happen again.
22pony22

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:59 am

22pony22 wrote:Is there some online calculator that available to figure out how much instant ocean I would need?

The instant ocean package says for small quantities use 1/2 cup of instant ocean per each US gallons. I'm plaining on using a water bottle that holds 700mL of water to store my salt water mix. My water dish (zoo med repti rock dish medium) holds a little less then 1 cup of water.
I dont know if anyone answered this for u but I just make my salt water in a gallon jug and accept that I'm going to pour most of it out. Honestly instant ocean is pretty cheap, even wasting as much as I do it takes me over a year to use it all.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Topic author
22pony22

Post by 22pony22 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:45 pm

Anything else I can do to prepare the tank for when I go away in July for 6 days. I’m going to replace the water in the dish/moss put/ put tons of food in the dish. And pray the temperature and humidity is going to be ok. Of course I’m hoping that crabcake stays down and happy decides to go down to molt then.

22pony22

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:31 pm

22pony22 wrote:Is there some online calculator that available to figure out how much instant ocean I would need?

The instant ocean package says for small quantities use 1/2 cup of instant ocean per each US gallons. I'm plaining on using a water bottle that holds 700mL of water to store my salt water mix. My water dish (zoo med repti rock dish medium) holds a little less then 1 cup of water.
This thread is so long I don’t remember if anyone answered this or not Image

700 mL is 0.186 gallons. If 1/2 cup per gallon, then 0.0925 cups per 0.186 gallons.

That’s 1.48 tablespoons per 700 mL.

Just do 1.5 tablespoons of salt per bottle.