Running out of time

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Chris1234

Running out of time

Post by Chris1234 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:37 pm

Last call: I haven't received any responses to my post and am moving in a few weeks. Is ANYONE in the UK who can take hermit crabs? I am willing to drive. If not, I have to figure out how to transport them internationally and probably still put them up for adoption in the U.S.(If I can get them there).

BlazeTheWeirdo

Re: Running out of time

Post by BlazeTheWeirdo » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:23 pm

How many are there, and how big are they. I may be able to take them in if there is a way to transport them to the states.

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:57 pm

I was looking at the possibility of flying with hermits domestically within the US recently. The general consensus is that they are not allowed to travel, even if kept in locked travel containers. Due to all of the regulations with air travel, especially international even if you managed to get them on board the flight they would be confiscated and more than likely be destroyed at customs. They would probably detain you for several hours and possibly receive fines. I was detained at the Manchester airport for 6 hours two years ago. They pretty much made me sit in a room until they figured out what to do with me. It was because my temporary work visa expired two month previous. It read 10/12/17 (D/M/Y) not 12/10/17 (M/D/Y) due to the difference of the US and UK way of writing dates. I was within the (M/D/Y) but the correct way was expired. I had to fly back to the US, spend two days in NYC to get an updated visa and fly back! Now I get flagged whenever I enter the UK.

I would suggest also trying the Land Hermit Crab Owners Society (LHCOS) adoption resources.
http://lhcos.org/adoption-program-beta/

They also have a Facebook group as well.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/landhermitcrabowners/

Perhaps you may have better luck with finding them homes through them since a majority of the member here at the HCA are based in the US and Canada.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Scarletfire

Post by Scarletfire » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:11 am

If you're willing to ship them to Canada, I can work with a broker/importer to see how they can be brought in. I know if Im going from the states to Canada, just need a declaration of a pet, species and something like that.

If you tell me what species, how many, and how much they way..

EDIT: doesn't require a permit to import into Canada, but I would need to fill out a manifest and get pre-approval. Let me know if you are interested.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:44 am

If the hermit sites aren't working out to find someone local, try one of the reptile forums. RFUK is pretty big, Iand I'm sure there are others on Facebook as well although FB is cracking down on pet trading so it's not really permitted. I honestly can't remember the last time we had someone from the UK here, hermits don't seem to be a big thing there.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Jamison

Post by Jamison » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:28 pm

I think there was a member recently from the uk . I don't know if she can take the crab. I believe her username is wendyuk
2 purple pinchers
1 old dog

I will miss you Lloyd! Good luck up In Hermie Heaven!
You to Hagrid!

Topic author
Chris1234

Post by Chris1234 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:03 pm

Haven't been on here in a while so I want to give an update about what happened last year. I found a hermit crab owner in the UK at the last minute who accepted the crabs the day of my flight to the US. Unfortunately, all of the supplies had been packed and shipped already so I just gave him the crabs in a small container. Now I have all of these supplies with no crabs, so I'm trying to sell everything(see new post). Local pickup in westchester, NY if anyone is interested.