Thought for sure he was dead!

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
CrabbyPants1022

Thought for sure he was dead!

Post by CrabbyPants1022 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:06 pm

I recently got a two new crabs and one of them buried himself in the sand immediately after getting home and putting him in a temporary tank while I got the main tank set up and cleaned. It was a 5 gallon tank with only play sand and two shells, one with salt water and one with freshwater. And a smaller shell for food. I got the other tank set up a day or two later and moved the other crab, Sheldon, into it where he seems to be adjusting quite well. Mr.Krabs, on the other hand... He stayed bured so I left him in there. And my God, I thought FOR SURE he was dead due to the smell that eventually started in there. It smelled like rotten, stinky, dead fish. And it was a very STRONG smell. It hit you in the face as soon as you lifted the lid. There was also no sand movement and I eventually stopped leaving food in the tank because it would just go bad and started attracting flies, even after changing it daily. Despite the smell, I left him alone JUST IN CASE. And I'm so glad I did because today, 4 weeks later, he was up on the surface, climbing up the side of the aquarium! I was so happy to see him as I thought for sure he was a goner. I was gonna leave him for a full 3 months just to be absolutely safe, thankfully that wasn't needed! Well. Anyways. I just wanted to post that as encouragement for anyone out there who is wondering if their crab is dead or just molting! It's definitely possible for a crab to stink to high heavens and still be alive! (My ten year old daughter says he was probably just farting and that's why it smelled) :D

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Thought for sure he was dead!

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:49 pm

Normally, when I have a smelly tank, the crabs have taken a bit of food and dragged it into one the the hides abd I haven't noticed... til it starts breaking down.

If all crabs are up, I would go hunting for the source of the smell, as a rotten egg smell could be a sign of a bacterial bloom.

What does the smell 'smell' like?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
CrabbyPants1022

Post by CrabbyPants1022 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:57 pm

It smells like dead, rotting fish. He was just in a temporary tank though, so I'm not too worried about the smell. He's already been introduced into the big tank so I can just clean that tank and be done with it.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:31 pm

Oh if its a temp tank, yeah. May as well clean it out!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:59 am

Yay!
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi