hermit crab not eating or moving much

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Strawberryandclimber

hermit crab not eating or moving much

Post by Strawberryandclimber » Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:42 pm

I got two hermit crabs about 1 month ago and they were acting normal and eating well but for the last few days they have been a lot less active and I don´t see them eating .
They have a 20 gallon terrarium with six inches of eco earth , salt and fresh water they also have hidrogel(water in gel). The temperature is at 26 Cº and humidity about 80% . I´ve been feeding them a big variety of fruits, veggies and :?: spirulina powder .
Should I worry about them ?

FJrocks003

Re: hermit crab not eating or moving much

Post by FJrocks003 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:06 pm

I wouldn't worry. Crabs are nocturnal and may just not be as active during the day. If you are really concerned try this trick: At around 11 or 12 (at night) walk into the room and turn on the light. If the crabs are active and moving around you will see them freeze in the middle of whatever they are doing.
Indigo, Fleck, Flame, Dilly, and our newest addition: Thunder
RIP: Bubbles (passed on Wednesday March 31, 2020)

Topic author
Strawberryandclimber

Post by Strawberryandclimber » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:16 am

thank you .
I´ll try that

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:28 pm

Strawberryandclimber wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:42 pm
I got two hermit crabs about 1 month ago and they were acting normal and eating well but for the last few days they have been a lot less active and I don´t see them eating .
They have a 20 gallon terrarium with six inches of eco earth , salt and fresh water they also have hidrogel(water in gel). The temperature is at 26 Cº and humidity about 80% . I´ve been feeding them a big variety of fruits, veggies and :?: spirulina powder .
Should I worry about them ?
What is water in gel? That is not safe. Remove that.

Are you using a dechlorinator that removes chlorine, and chloramine as well as neutralizes ammonia and heavy metals. A lot of us use a product called Prime. As far as salt, you need marine salt, to mimic the ocean. You have to use the dechlorinator for both freshwater and marine saltwater. Both pools should be deep enough for them to fully submerge in and safe enough for them to get out of.

Hermit crabs can eat a lot of the same things that we eat. Just check to make sure the item is on the safe list. Foods should be organic when possible. Hermit crabs are sensitive to pesticides and fertilizers.
You also want to provide one or more calcium sources at all times. Examples would be Cuttlebone, Organic Eggshell, Oyster Shell, Lobster Exo, Shrimp Exo.
Make sure you cover all aspects of food pyramid :)
Safe food list: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 25&t=92557
Unsafe food list: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 25&t=92556
Food pyramid: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 25&t=92554
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:25 pm

I am curious too, what is the hydrogel? I’m not trying to be negative, I’ve just never heard of it, just wondering what it is. I don’t think I’ve heard of any other hermit owners using it so it may not be safe.

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:03 pm

Hydrogels are made of polyacrylates, a chemical family of super-absorbent polymers.

They are considered non-toxic and used in human-grade products, but since they are not food grade I don’t like using them to provide drinking water since they will likely be eaten.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk