New Hermit crabs staying buried

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Lexamary

New Hermit crabs staying buried

Post by Lexamary » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:27 pm

Hello, I’m a relatively new hermit crab owner, though I had hermit crabs when I was a kid. I just got 3 new hermit crabs and currently have them in a 15 gal tank. They were incredibly active on the first day I got them, super friendly and explored the tank. Now they’re staying buried and might occasionally come out at night for water and food. I know this because I’ve seen dirt traces in the water bowls. I don’t know if this is troubling behavior, I don’t think that they are molting, I’m not sure, but I don’t want to dig them up because I know that can cause stress. Any insight would be great thank you. I’ve had them for a couple days now

I have coconut fiber substrate, and it measures 6inches. Heat is about 75 degrees Fahrenheit. Humidity is at 80. I have both saltwater and freshwater sources, plenty of things to climb on and hide underneath, as well as many shell changing options.

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New Hermit crabs staying buried

Post by JoeHermits » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:10 pm

Digging is normal behavior. They’re natural burrowers and are just at home below ground as above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:33 am

If you would like to see them more active, I recommend that you make their tank warmer. IMO their tank temperature should at the minimum be 80. I keep mine 80-85. Sometimes it gets 78 at night.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Lexamary

Post by Lexamary » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:35 pm

I appreciate it, I know digging is a normal behavior, i just think they stay under for longer than other non molting crabs do.

I’ll look into getting another heat source, I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t doing anything to harm the crabs.

Topic author
Lexamary

Post by Lexamary » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:55 pm

GotButterflies wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:33 am
If you would like to see them more active, I recommend that you make their tank warmer. IMO their tank temperature should at the minimum be 80. I keep mine 80-85. Sometimes it gets 78 at night.

I checked, and my temp is at 80, I had the lid open for a little while yesterday, which cooled it down a bit.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:26 pm

80 is great - You will have active crabs if you keep your temp at 80. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Lexamary

Post by Lexamary » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:45 pm

My crabs still aren’t very active, I’ve been able to keep the temp at 80, and I might see/hear 1 crab at night every now and then. I’m thinking about upgrading my tank, one of the crabs is a little on the larger side, and I feel that he might not have enough room to move around. Would too small of a tank make them inactive? Also, if I do get a different set up, how should I go about moving the crabs seeing as they’re almost always buried. I know digging them up is stressful, and can lead to their death. Thanks!