Where are my crabs?

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
LittleCinderella

Where are my crabs?

Post by LittleCinderella » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:57 am

I have four, small PP crabs in a 30 gallon tank. One hasn't moved for a week (he's on the surface) but I don't think he's dead. I covered him with the top of a bottle, as suggested, for his safety.

The other three have been wonderfully active, but day before yesterday one disappeared. Now a second one has disappeared. How do I know if they're buried?

I have six inches of coconut fiber, play sand, Hermit Beach Sand mix. My temp is at 79 right now and humidity is at 99%. I'm not going to search through the substrate looking for them and I don't think they could have escaped.

The two who are missing I've only had a few days. Is there any way to tell where they are?

Thank you!

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

doth

Re: Where are my crabs?

Post by doth » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:02 pm

The two that are missing have likely dug down to molt. This can be a scary waiting game but it is a good thing. :) If you got them from a store they were probably unable to molt there & are probably relieved to finally have enough substrate to molt! They may be down for awhile.

Keep an eye on the surface one. Maybe add a little dish with some nourishing foods in there in case he perks up and is hungry. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Topic author
LittleCinderella

Re: Where are my crabs?

Post by LittleCinderella » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:06 pm

Thank you!

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk