Greetings Everyone I’m Back In Action lol

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
PuddKitty

Greetings Everyone I’m Back In Action lol

Post by PuddKitty » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:33 pm

Hey y’all it’s been a long time since I been on this site too long I even forgot how to log into my old account lol. Short story I started with my first clan of hermit crabs in 2010 and after the last one passed away in 2016 I took a longgggg break because I was just too hurt to start all over again :cry: . Each one of my previous hermies had to much of their own personality and I just felt I couldn’t replace them. 4 years later and I finally decided to start a new clan in memory of the ones I lost. I know I can never replace them but I know I can still help other hermies out here that might end up in the wrong hands or dying in the pet stores. I currently just got a 90 gallon tank because I sold my old one. Playsand & Eco Earth Over 60 different kind of shells. And everything else will be arriving in the mail in upcoming days. Moss, Cholla wood, Waterfall, Cork rounds and Huts, Plants, UVB Light, Uth pads, Instant ocean sea salt, Wooden Bridge, Temp & Humidity Gauge, Pumps for the pools, & A variety of food I order from Etsy. I’m waiting to get my tank completely setup then I will began my clan again. Last time I started with 8 hermies in a 55 gallon ( Big homie, Woody, Tiny, Ray, Eva, Erex, Pacc, & Eeyore ) This time I got a lot more space so I was wondering how many can comfortably fit in a 90 gallon? Should I still follow the 5 gallon per crab rule? Also if I get all my hermies within the same week but from two different places should I let them distress together or should I still isolate them because once I get them I don’t plan on adding any more well let’s just say no time soon. I would appreciate y’all feedback :callme:
Mommy of 2 Beautiful Princesses, A Clan Of Royal Hermies, 1 King Bearded Dragon (Boomie) & A Guard Leopard Gecko (Melly) 💕🥳

HermitofHermitCrabs

Re: Greetings Everyone I’m Back In Action lol

Post by HermitofHermitCrabs » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:44 pm

90G should can hold 40-50 crabs if they are mostly micro or small in size. If they are mostly on the larger side I'd say about 25 or so.

Welcome back.
9 PPs in a 125 G Terrarium since August 2020: Sebastian (F) - 2 Molts, Midnight (F) - 2 Molts, Red (M) - 2 Molts, Jello (F) - 3 Molts, Ninja (M) - 1 Molt, Shelly (M) - 1 Molt, Tiny (?) - 3 Molts, & Dot (?) - 1 Molt

Formerly had ~40 from 2004 to 2010.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:03 pm

But keep in mind, as they grow they ll need to be seperated or placed in larger tank.

If you want the 90g to be somewhat permanent, I'd cap it around 6 - 10.

Welcome back to crabbing, you've probably found not a whole lot has changed since you're last on.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
PuddKitty

Post by PuddKitty » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:16 am

Thanks y’all for the feedback💖! I’m happy to be back 8) I think I might just start off with around 10- 12 small hermies and I can always buy another tank down the line when they turn into Jumbos. I wanted to get half purple p’s and half Ecuadorian crabs just like my last clan but I would haft to get them from two different locations because they both sell one but not the other so if I purchase them within the same week should I isolate both groups of hermies or can they distress together. I didn’t want to bring any diseases into my main tank that can possibly make any of them sick
Mommy of 2 Beautiful Princesses, A Clan Of Royal Hermies, 1 King Bearded Dragon (Boomie) & A Guard Leopard Gecko (Melly) 💕🥳

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:08 pm

Welcome back :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
PuddKitty

Post by PuddKitty » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:28 pm

GotButterflies wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:08 pm
Welcome back :)
Awe thank you 💕 I’m glad to be back!