Condensation on Walls

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

daws409

Re: Condensation on Walls

Post by daws409 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:46 pm

TheLayla420 wrote:Where can I buy command strips??? :crabbigsmile: :crabblush:
Wal-Mart, Lowe's, Dollar G, Family Dollar, probably more.... Usually in the picture section.

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk

Edit- picture hardware
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

TheLayla420

Post by TheLayla420 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:22 pm

daws409 wrote:
Wal-Mart, Lowe's, Dollar G, Family Dollar, probably more.... Usually in the picture section.

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk

Edit- picture hardware
Thanks sooo much!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Layla

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:45 pm

Target, Walmart, Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Amazon have them :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

elly_bananas

Post by elly_bananas » Wed May 10, 2017 9:56 pm

I wanted to say, that i have recently had this issue with condensation and today i decided to make my own lil humidifyer and i aimed the tube towards the front end of the glass. An hour later, not o ly was my humidity seriously on point, but the air blowi g thru dried up that condensation and now i couldnt be happier. So i am going to agree in regards to the air flow, solely on my own experience.
She thought she could, so she did!

Hermias_mom

Post by Hermias_mom » Thu May 11, 2017 3:02 pm

elly_bananas wrote:I wanted to say, that i have recently had this issue with condensation and today i decided to make my own lil humidifyer and i aimed the tube towards the front end of the glass. An hour later, not o ly was my humidity seriously on point, but the air blowi g thru dried up that condensation and now i couldnt be happier. So i am going to agree in regards to the air flow, solely on my own experience.
That's cool Elly!
4PPs and tons of FUN in a 29 gallon!
Hermia(F), Helena(F), Branch(M), and Tiger (M)
RIP Athena

elly_bananas

Post by elly_bananas » Thu May 11, 2017 3:04 pm

Hermias_mom wrote:
elly_bananas wrote:I wanted to say, that i have recently had this issue with condensation and today i decided to make my own lil humidifyer and i aimed the tube towards the front end of the glass. An hour later, not o ly was my humidity seriously on point, but the air blowi g thru dried up that condensation and now i couldnt be happier. So i am going to agree in regards to the air flow, solely on my own experience.
That's cool Elly!
Image Image Image
She thought she could, so she did!

kdsm0527

Post by kdsm0527 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:56 am

aussieJJDude wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:20 am
No always, condensation just means their is a heat/water vapour difference from inside and outside the tank. The only way that it is high enough is to get a gauge.
A way to reduce condensation is to increase air movement along the glass, which can be achieved by what lid you use - leave a gap along the front glass pane for example - or using a small fan inside the tank.
What type of fan do you recommend? I’m half scared that crabs will climb on one and nip it’s little feet! Where did you mount it? I just did a tank upgrade from 36 to 75 w/18x24 topper on one side. I’m using the normal fish tank aquarium lid On the other side with essentially no gaps except for where the bubbler hoses poke through. I get condensation where it isn’t insulated ie the front and where the light has to shine through. I mean my husband wrapped it up! My humidity stays around 80 u til night and drops to 75 then temp is steady 78-81. I do not know how to post a picture :/
~Kathleen ☺️

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:13 am

kdsm0527 wrote:
What type of fan do you recommend? I’m half scared that crabs will climb on one and nip it’s little feet! Where did you mount it? I just did a tank upgrade from 36 to 75 w/18x24 topper on one side. I’m using the normal fish tank aquarium lid On the other side with essentially no gaps except for where the bubbler hoses poke through. I get condensation where it isn’t insulated ie the front and where the light has to shine through. I mean my husband wrapped it up! My humidity stays around 80 u til night and drops to 75 then temp is steady 78-81. I do not know how to post a picture :/
To post pics, you need an image sharing platform where you upload there and then copy the link here. Many like to use tapatalk app (on phone) for this reason. :)

I just saw your post on FB, which I've responded there.

Generally you want to make a box out of mesh (recommend plastic canvas) so they can't access the moving parts, and a silicone tubing to keep the wire a little more secure. How you mount it depends on where you plan on locating it, I liked using magnets glued onto the mesh box, but you may prefer using a stand or some suction cups to mount it within your topper. Choice up to you and your general DIY savvy skills.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

kdsm0527

Post by kdsm0527 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:34 am

Thank you! Just realized that - Thanks for the assist!
~Kathleen ☺️

HermitofHermitCrabs

Post by HermitofHermitCrabs » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:58 am

TheLayla420 wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:41 pm
Where can I buy command strips??? :crabbigsmile: :crabblush:
Walmart.
9 PPs in a 125 G Terrarium since August 2020: Sebastian (F) - 2 Molts, Midnight (F) - 2 Molts, Red (M) - 2 Molts, Jello (F) - 3 Molts, Ninja (M) - 1 Molt, Shelly (M) - 1 Molt, Tiny (?) - 3 Molts, & Dot (?) - 1 Molt

Formerly had ~40 from 2004 to 2010.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:44 pm

Craft stores also sell command strips.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Sweet_Dee29

Post by Sweet_Dee29 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:08 am

NLindsey921 wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:17 pm
There is nothing wrong with having condensation on the glass. That's a surefire way to know your humidity is high enough. The only downside is that it is difficult to see your crabbies. I just wipe my glass down once a day when doing maintnence

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

Condensation on the walls can lead to problems. It can eventually lead to flooding. I wouldn't just ignore it. Wiping down the walls helps but its not a long term solution.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:51 pm

Sweet_Dee29 wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:08 am
Condensation on the walls can lead to problems. It can eventually lead to flooding. I wouldn't just ignore it. Wiping down the walls helps but its not a long term solution.
This is an old topic where the problem was already addressed, but no, condensation does not lead to problems and it does not cause flooding. That is a myth. It can rarely be a sign of current problems when there is already too much moisture having been added to the tank and the substrate is overwet - but by itself condensation isn't anything more than existing humidity gathering on cool glass.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Sweet_Dee29

Post by Sweet_Dee29 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:01 pm

I didn't realize it was an old topic. I'm very rarely on this forum so I dont pay attention to the time stamps, just the questions.
Condensation on the walls, over a long period of time most certainly can lead to flooding. It's not impossible.
Might be "rare" but it can happen

Just saying, not a myth.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:26 am

Sweet_Dee29 wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:01 pm
I didn't realize it was an old topic. I'm very rarely on this forum so I dont pay attention to the time stamps, just the questions.
Condensation on the walls, over a long period of time most certainly can lead to flooding. It's not impossible.
Might be "rare" but it can happen

Just saying, not a myth.
If water is not being added to the tank, it won't cause a flood. For example, it is humid in the tank from the moisture coming out of the substrate in the heat...the room is cool, so condensation forms on the inside of the tank....and then the condensation drips down the walls back into the substrate where it came from. No flooding risk from that.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers