Addition to the family

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
lesleyalena

Addition to the family

Post by lesleyalena » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:05 pm

First time posting
Afternoon, i have had hermit crabs for about 6 months now. I have a deep substrate, plenty of things for them to crawl in/on a temperature and humidity gauges in my tank. I have a huge 25+ gallon fish tank. I think i have done all that properly, however a few months ago one of my hermies passed away during molting. I got another addition on Sunday since i didn't want my other one to be lonely. He immediately buried himself as usual for a new crab. My other crab has been caught trying to dig where the new crab dug. i keep moving him i dont want him digging up the other crab and eating him incase he is molting. What should i do?

HermitofHermitCrabs

Re: Addition to the family

Post by HermitofHermitCrabs » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:15 pm

Not much you can do. Just watch and see what happens.
9 PPs in a 125 G Terrarium since August 2020: Sebastian (F) - 2 Molts, Midnight (F) - 2 Molts, Red (M) - 2 Molts, Jello (F) - 3 Molts, Ninja (M) - 1 Molt, Shelly (M) - 1 Molt, Tiny (?) - 3 Molts, & Dot (?) - 1 Molt

Formerly had ~40 from 2004 to 2010.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:25 pm

If you have deep enough substrate, and the tank is not over crowded, they will generally not dig each other up. Even tho the first crab dug down in one place, they often move and he is likely in a different location now. If the substrate is at least 3 times as deep as your largest crab, I would just let the new one dig.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
lesleyalena

Post by lesleyalena » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:27 pm

It definitely is 3x the size as the crab so i guess we go with the flow. This eases my mind a little thank you both for replying

Topic author
lesleyalena

Post by lesleyalena » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:29 pm

I have a log, small cholla wood, and 2 small coconut shells with their water and food dishes in a 29 gallon long tank. They are each strategically placed :D :D so they have plenty of room