does my crab need a friend?

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
crabish

Post by crabish » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:29 pm

i have a crab named fancy, we've had him for 4 years. he's had friends before but he kept killing them so we didn't get any more. he's been alone for 2-3 years now. i decided to search if he needed one and some say yes but some say it might not be worth it? he's fine, he's not sick or anything and he runs around a lot and likes playing on the bed. should i get him a new crab friend? thanks in advance :)
mother of fancy ^_^

HermitofHermitCrabs

Re: does my crab need a friend?

Post by HermitofHermitCrabs » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:49 pm

What size tank do you have this crab in? If it's a 20G or larger I would suggest at 2-3 additional crabs. Let them run around in a bowl together filled with about a 1/2" of appropriate water. That way when you put them back in the tank they will all the smell the same and decrease the chance of any aggression.
9 PPs in a 125 G Terrarium since August 2020: Sebastian (F) - 2 Molts, Midnight (F) - 2 Molts, Red (M) - 2 Molts, Jello (F) - 3 Molts, Ninja (M) - 1 Molt, Shelly (M) - 1 Molt, Tiny (?) - 3 Molts, & Dot (?) - 1 Molt

Formerly had ~40 from 2004 to 2010.

Topic author
crabish

Post by crabish » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:39 pm

i have a 10 gallon tank, and thank you for the suggestion! my mom said we could get 1 more so i'll try that :)
mother of fancy ^_^

HermitofHermitCrabs

Post by HermitofHermitCrabs » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:21 am

Yep, try that and report back.
9 PPs in a 125 G Terrarium since August 2020: Sebastian (F) - 2 Molts, Midnight (F) - 2 Molts, Red (M) - 2 Molts, Jello (F) - 3 Molts, Ninja (M) - 1 Molt, Shelly (M) - 1 Molt, Tiny (?) - 3 Molts, & Dot (?) - 1 Molt

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:52 am

Another thing to keep in mind, though, is that many of the longest lived crabs in captivity were single or in pairs. It’s not the end of the world if tankmates don’t work out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:00 am

I agree with Joe, it's not always possible to have multiple crabs. There have been reports of crabs that just wouldn't accept a tank mate. If he's been alone for a number of years and is happy and healthy, it's kind of up to you whether you want to try another or not.

If you do decide to add a friend, a quick dip for each in the fresh water is enough to have them smell the same; I've never heard of putting them in a half inch of water, which could be too deep if they are small crabs.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

HermitofHermitCrabs

Post by HermitofHermitCrabs » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:54 pm

curlysister wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:00 am
I agree with Joe, it's not always possible to have multiple crabs. There have been reports of crabs that just wouldn't accept a tank mate. If he's been alone for a number of years and is happy and healthy, it's kind of up to you whether you want to try another or not.

If you do decide to add a friend, a quick dip for each in the fresh water is enough to have them smell the same; I've never heard of putting them in a half inch of water, which could be too deep if they are small crabs.
Yeah, I did that for years. I put them all in a bowl or small tub of about 1/2” of water and let them run around for about 20-30 minutes. It always worked for me.