DC, DE, MD, VA, WV Adopters

List of local adopters by state. If you would like to adopt through the HCA, please add a new post to your state's topic.

Moderators: HCA Adoptions, Staff Accounts

Topic author
HCA Adoptions

Post by HCA Adoptions » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:22 pm

District of Columbia, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia Adoptions
If you are looking to adopt hermit crabs, please make a small “want ad” here!

Read through this before posting:
[For Members Who Wish To Adopt:]

You must include your general location and how far you are willing to travel. If you are willing to pay for shipping, that would be a good thing to know as well. You should write about your experience with hermit crabs, your enclosure, and anything else you think an owner looking to rehome should know so that they choose you as their crabs’ new home. Remember to list how you would like owners and the Adoption Coordinator to contact you if PMs are not your first choice. Thank you!
Last edited by HCA Adoptions on Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Updated
Please PM the HCA Adoptions account if you are interested in a listed adoption or have questions about our adoption program.

buglock

Re: DC, DE, MD, VA, WV Adopters

Post by buglock » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:34 pm

Richmond, VA

How Far Can You Travel?: Within Richmond, VA preferably but possibly 30 min outside.
Size of Tanks, Number of Crabs, and Species: 20 gallon tank with one large PP (recently lost his companion : ( ) tank temp is constant 76 F and humidity around 80, feed natural food, have two salt baths and one drinking water, coco fiber and sand substrate, lots of stuff to climb on, lots of empty shells. Crab is lonely : (
How Long Have You Been Crabbing?: 7 years
What You Are Able to Adopt?: Preferably one PP, hopefully around the same size (my crab is about 3-4")
I Would Like to Be Contacted By - Email - or - PM - . PM please

LAST UPDATED: 09/8/19
Last edited by buglock on Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

finleyfoo

Post by finleyfoo » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:20 pm

Located in Northern VA

Willing to adopt in the metro DC area as well

I currently have one PP (my second one recently died) and I want a companion for her. She is small to medium sized. I have a 20 gallon tank with the works - 2 pools (freshwater and saltwater), deep substrate, several hides, moss pit, climbing bridge. I feed lots of fresh healthy food and supplement with food from The Hermit Crab Patch. My heat and humidity levels are great. I have tank heaters that stick to the outer walls and bubblers in the pool. Lots of great shells to choose from as well.

LAST UPDATED: 10/15/18

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:39 pm

Ok, so I also had to post in the other section since I’m right on the border with TN, so I hope it’s ok that I copied the previous post on the other thread to reshare! Thanks for looking, and considering us for your friend’s forever home.
Overmountain1 wrote:Hi! I am Sara, and my two boys are 10 & 13, and they help care for our crabitat and crabbies. They’re very hands off and responsible with the crabs, they just love watching their antics and seeing what they’re up to at any given moment. Perhaps a bit of that will wear off over time but who knows? Doesn’t matter bc I’m the primary caregiver and I’m ok with that! Image

Location (nearest large city, state, country): Bristol, Va/Tn

How Far Can You Travel?: 4 hours, maybe more with some planning....

Size of Tanks, Number of Crabs, and Species: 5 gal with 3 teenies, 10 gal with 3 tiny-small, Tote with 4 small-med crabs, 36 gallon with 3 large; 2 PP and one Indonesian, and 29 gal with 1 large PP and one tiny, and 5 tiny-small Es! 72 gal under construction for largest and some others.

How Long Have You Been Crabbing? Over a year now, with some experience as a kid, if it could be called experience then, as the care guides were so bad back then. Image

What You Are Able to Adopt?: my Indonesian really would love to have a species buddy. If anybody sees one anywhere at all that could be a good buddy for my guy, please let me know ASAP! They’re hard to come by for sure, and I hate that he’s already been alone as long as he has.

I hope that answers any questions you may need to know. I’m available and looking actively- thanks!!
Last Updated: 09-13-19
Last edited by Overmountain1 on Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:09 pm

Southeast PA, Closest Large City: Philadelphia

Travel: I can travel to DE and MD. I don't drive due to medical issues, but would likely be able to get a ride up to an hour away from home.

Number of crabs I can adopt: 1

Hi Everyone!
I've owned hermit crabs for about 10 years now. A friend of my Mom's knew I loved animals and brought me back a crab from the shore. I did some reading and found out they are social creatures, so from then on I always made sure to have at least 2 hermit crabs. I also found out about the horrible conditions hermit crabs suffer when being collected from the wild and transported to pet stores. Once I discovered this, I vowed never to buy a crab again.
Up until July 2019, I had two purple pinchers, Beau 7 years old and Katrina 5 years old. Unfortunately, Katrina passed away leaving Beau alone. Thankfully, I was able to adopt 13 crabbies through the HCA.

I just upgraded to a 55 gal tank. It's filled with 10" of play sand and eco earth for the substrate. I have a freshwater and saltwater pool. I installed 2 different size hamster wheels should any of the crabs want to go for a walk. I provide them with a constant supply of freeze dried/powdered foods, and also a couple of different fresh foods each night. I made my own second levels for them. I used plastic risers I bought from Amazon, and attached craft mesh and Cholla wood to them. They can hide underneath them as well. Cuttlebone and powdered calcium are always in the tank. I have many shells for them to choose from should they need a new "home". I have plenty of spots for hiding out. I have 2 sheets of egg crate on the back of the tank so the crabs can climb.
All of the crabbies are kept warm, moist and happy. :)

LAST UPDATED: 08/11/21

Last edited by CrabbyLover77 on Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:09 pm, edited 17 times in total.
My Pets: 2 Pomeranians, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 13 hermit crabs.
"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

The Crab Maid

Post by The Crab Maid » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:36 pm

WILMINGTON, DE

How Far Can You Travel?: Willing to travel upwards of 3 hours away, I work in Northeast Philadelphia and attend college in Newark, DE at University of Delaware. I also volunteer at Adventure Aquarium in Camden, NJ so I travel a bit in that area too.
Size of Tanks, Number of Crabs, and Species: Two 50gs, one with six small PPs and one with a Halloween Crab.
How Long Have You Been Crabbing?: Professionally and academically, since April 2019. I've had Hermit Crabs before, but I was a less educated crab parent back then.
What You Are Able to Adopt?: Anything in the crab family, not just hermit crabs. I can take set ups or create a new set up if need be.
I Would Like to Be Contacted via Email or PM: Either works, but I do check e-mail more frequently.

Figured I'd post in with summer nearing it's end and crabs may turn up needing homes. :crabblush:
I was gone a few months due to health issues, but I am still actively taking in crabs of all kinds.

LAST UPDATED: 08/08/21
Last edited by The Crab Maid on Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_φ(°-°=) ...... _φ( °-°)/ ...... φ(..)...... φ(..;) ..... φ(´д`o)

aguiguy

Post by aguiguy » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:04 pm

RESTON, VA

We've been raising our large healthy crab since 2013.

We're only interested in obtaining a just few more local crabs from Northern Virginia - within 15 miles of Reston. We can come pick up, or meet you somewhere.
Best to contact us via PM.
We have two temperature and humidity controlled terreriums (30x12x12 & 20x13x10) with sand from Hilton Head Island, SC.
Our crab has grown large, and is well-fed and healthy. We have an excellent care routine - change water & food daily, maintain humidity. Plenty of shells, hides, climbs, and sand deep enough for tunneling and molting. We feed Pisces Pros Crab Variety Bites - It's the only food our crab seems to eat, but we're open to trying whatever food is your crab's favorite.

My children are excellent with animals. Everything we care for tends to grow large and live long.
We'd love to have your crab(s) join our family.

John, Joanna, Jasko, Antos, & Maia.

LAST UPDATED: 04/04/20

scohn5

Post by scohn5 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:59 pm

OUTSIDE OF PHILADELPHIA

Hello friends! I am looking to add another purple pincher to my current 20 gallon tank. I have a medium purple pincher at the moment who really needs a friend. I can travel up to 2 hours for pick up. I have a freshwater pool and large saltwater pool, two hiding spots (one that also acts as a moss pit), chola wood, aquarium plants, and coconut particle wall pieces for climbing, a play sand and coconut fiber substrate, a heater to ensure proper humidity and temperature control. I am currently working on a topper tank for additional climbing space. This is my first hermit crab but I am an incredibly dedicated caregiver. Please contact me via PM.

Thank you!

LAST UPDATED: 07/27/20

kfreestone08

Post by kfreestone08 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:05 am

CENTREVILLE, VA

Hi, my family (2 girls ages 9 & 12) is looking for 2-3 hermit crabs for our crabitat.
How Far Can You Travel?: 25 miles from Centreville, VA
Size of Tanks, Number of Crabs, and Species: 30 gallon tank,feed natural food, have a salt bath and fresh water, coco fiber and sand substrate, lots of stuff to climb on, lots of empty shells.
How Long Have You Been Crabbing?: I had a couple when I was a kid and now my kids are interested in homing some hermies. We just got back from the beach and the girls saw all the hermit crabs for sale (jailed). I wouldn't let them buy the ones there. I explained that they are wild and the painted shells are toxic. I agreed to get the crabs only if we educate ourselves, prep for everything we need in advance, and all agree how they will be cared for.
What You Are Able to Adopt?: looking for 3 hermit crabs
I Would Like to Be Contacted By - PM me please
Thank you! :crabbigsmile:

LAST UPDATED: 08/16/20

Chelsie_Time

Post by Chelsie_Time » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:22 pm

ROANOKE, VA

I'm located near roanoke va and willing to travel within a few hours of there. I could possibly travel further with notice :)

I have a 45 gallon and a 10 gallon both with a sand and eco earth mix. Heat lamp, perfect humidity, salt and fresh water ponds. My crabbies get fresh food and anything I think they may like

I have 9 purple pinchers. 4 inherited from individuals not knowing how hermit crabs need specific care. 5 purchased from a local petsmart.

I've been crabbing for a little over a year now and I am pretty sure these are the perfect pets! Minimal mess and personality plus.

I would love to add some other species to the mix like strawberries or violas. The more the merrier.

Please DM me for email or text. Thanks!

LAST UPDATED: 08/16/20

Gleasoce

Post by Gleasoce » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:21 pm

NORTHERN VA OR HARRISONBURG

Looking for a crab in northern VA or Harrisonburg
One of our hermit crabs passed away unexpectedly yesterday and I’m looking for a friend for the remaining crab.
We have a 35gal with one large crab who is very friendly and active.
Please DM me!

LAST UPDATED: 09/03/20

tmnturner

Baltimore, MD

Post by tmnturner » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:44 pm

BALTIMORE, MD

How Far Can You Travel?: Up to 250 miles in any direction

Size of Tanks: 55 gallon x2 (one is my current primary tank, and the other is for adoptions), 10 gallon x1 for PPDS, and 300 gallon x1 -- soon to be the primary tank.

Number of crabs and species: 10 Purple Pinchers

How Long Have You Been Crabbing?: ~2 years

What You Are Able to Adopt?: Land Hermit Crabs (about 7-10 of them until the 300 gallon is complete.)

I Would Like to Be Contacted By - Email @ tmnturn3r [at] yahoo [dot] com

I am looking to adopt some hermit crabs. I keep all my tanks (except for my PPDS tank) at 12+" of substrate, humidity 70-80% and temps 75-82 degrees Fahrenheit. I am currently working on creating an AMAZING 300 gallon crab paradise, and I figure helping adopt crabs would be the best way to do that, rather than to purchase them.

I am personally not so good at upselling myself, but my girlfriend and I are very diligent about caring for our babies. We understand what they go through to get into our care, and having to part with them is extremely sad. In order to help alleviate some of that sadness, please consider letting us adopt your crabbos and give them the best possible life we can.

Thanks!

LAST UPDATED: 09/29/20

danabeegle

Post by danabeegle » Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:28 pm

ROANOKE, VA

Roanoke, VA
Willing to travel 60ish miles
Would prefer to rehome/rescue 2 crabbies instead of buy from a pet store.
We are experienced pet owners and farmers, but new to owning hermit crabs. We have been researching best practices and have a 10 gallon tank that we would like to home 2 crabbies in. Our crabitat is set up as follows: 4-6 inches of 1:5 playsand, eco earth substrate, climbing structures, hideout, water bowl and safe swim bowl. We also have a tank heater along the back of the tank and will feed fresh produce daily and other supplements (there's lots of great info on hermie diet out there!). We had a bearded dragon (from a rescue) for 9 years, and she enjoyed her daily salads! We are prepared to increase the tank size if/as needed. Please let us know if you have or know of crabbies who need a forever home! Thanks! Please DM or text (NUMBER REMOVED BY ADMIN).

LAST UPDATED: 02/20/22

wilsonk

Post by wilsonk » Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:16 am

TIMONIUM, MD

We have a crabitat ready for 2 small or medium hermit crabs and are in Timonium MD, willing to drive within the Baltimore area.

Our crabitat is set up as follows: 20 gallon tank, 6 inches of 1:5 playsand, eco earth substrate, climbing structures, hideout, water bowls (fresh and salt), heaters...

Please respond if interested!

LAST UPDATED: 07/28/22

Annie

Post by Annie » Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:59 am

CHARLESTON, WV

How Far:
Within 1 hour of Charleston

Size of Tanks, Number of Crabs, and Species:
As of now, I have two 10 gallon tanks and a 36 gallon tank that are empty. I have ZERO crabs right now. I've been a member or this forum since 2011 and I am wanting to get back into this hobby. I would prefer purple pinchers as that is what I am experienced with but I am open to others

How Long Have You Been Crabbing:
Since I was a child

What You Are Able to Adopt:
I prefer purple pinchers but as noted above I am open to other species

You can DM me on here and then we can continue the conversation via text to schedule a meet!

LAST UPDATED: 01/26/23