Near infrared light

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
brooklyncrabs

Near infrared light

Post by brooklyncrabs » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:22 pm

Hi all

I want to put a camera on my crabs to see what they do at night.

However I am wondering if they can see the near infrared light that most cameras would emit to see in the dark.

I wouldn't want to keep them awake ...

Anyone know?

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Near infrared light

Post by JoeHermits » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:13 pm

I don’t know how much of the light spectrum they can see, however Wyze Cams use infrared night vision, which many crabbers have used without reporting affected behavior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:49 am

We really should test this - if they react to a moving shadow cast by the infrared light, you'll know if they can see it!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Maddamay32

Post by Maddamay32 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:50 pm

I've recently been paying more attention to how active my crabs are with the wyze cams on and off. I've been reluctant to believe it but I definitely have more crabs out for longer when they are off.

I have been leaving them off for 2 days in a row and then will turn my wyze cams on for 1 day. I have 1 cam on the right and 1 on the left. Some days I will only turn on 1 cam and the crabs will tend to avoid the end of the tank that the cam is on. And on the days that both are off I will see almost all my 9 crabs up at once, compared to the nights when I have the cameras on when I will usually only see the same 2 out.

Sent from my cp3705AS using Tapatalk

8 crabs at the moment "Tarzan, Kermit, Shy guy, Eduardo, Jimbo, Rosa, Diesel, Treaker"

Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:49 am

Oh really that’s so weird because my hermit crabs love the Wyze camera ( I have it leaning up against the outside of there tank ) they always go right up to it and try to see what it is. I have not seen if they are more or less active but I don’t think they mind the Wyze cam.
This photo I have right here is from when I caught my hermit crab right up against the glass looking at my Wyze cam on the other side of the glass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
brooklyncrabs

Post by brooklyncrabs » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:15 pm

I've been trying to find research about what the crabs and their relatives can see. haven't seen any mention of infrared in a preliminary search - some relatives to crabs seem to see UV, other side of spectrum.