Potential Flood while Molting Crab?

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Irthryll

Potential Flood while Molting Crab?

Post by Irthryll » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:17 pm

My substrate is a mix of 1/5 eco earth 4/5 play sand.

My crab is a large 15 year old Purple Pincher.

He has been trying to molt recently and I observed him digging in multiple locations but the substrate was too dry to make any headway. I noticed this and took everything out of the habitat and added within 250mL to 350mL of water. This habitat is a 20G with around 5 to 6 inches of substrate varying in certain locations. The crab is my only crab and is buried down maybe 4-5 in at the moment in a small tunnel visible from the side of the habitat. I have dug into the substrate myself and have confirmed there is no loose liquid however the bottom is significantly more moist than the top. I have heard that excess water leads to a flood and that too moist sub can trap a crab. However, since he is a significantly large PP I personally don't think he would have much trouble digging himself out if he wanted too. Anyone thoughts on what I should do? If pictures are necessary I can take some. Thank you guys for the help.

Topic author
Irthryll

Re: Potential Flood while Molting Crab?

Post by Irthryll » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:20 pm

With further measurement I can confirm the tank varies within 4 to 4.25in

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:24 pm

I would stick a straw or chopstick into the substrate along the side of the tank.

If the vertical tunnel you created fills with water, then your substrate is oversaturated. Dig up your crab and remove any sulfuric-scented substrate. If not, there is no flooding but continue to monitor as needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Irthryll

Post by Irthryll » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:08 pm

Just did this, sub was shallow enough in one part for me to stick my finger in and create a small vertical hole. Will follow up within a couple hours if it fills. Thanks for the help!