Pesticide and Leaves

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
AutumnFalls

Pesticide and Leaves

Post by AutumnFalls » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:22 pm

So, I've been adding leaves from my yard to the crabitat lately (mostly for the isopods). Well, it's time to add more leaves but I have a problem. We had a serious ant problem and my yard was sprayed with pesticide (not sure which one) three weeks ago. Will I be able to use leaves from my yard again this year? If not, how long until I can use them in the tank again? I'm now wishing I'd thought to grab a bunch before they sprayed, but hindsight is 20-20.

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Pesticide and Leaves

Post by JoeHermits » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:57 am

Do you know what they sprayed? Knowing how long it remains in the soil would be helpful. Rinsing off the leaves would remove most of the surface residue but anything absorbed would be in the tissues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
AutumnFalls

Post by AutumnFalls » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:57 pm

JoeHermits wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:57 am
Do you know what they sprayed? Knowing how long it remains in the soil would be helpful. Rinsing off the leaves would remove most of the surface residue but anything absorbed would be in the tissues.

Unfortunatley, I don't. I rent, so I didn't deal directly with pest control. I just know it was for ants so it is supposed to soak into the soil.

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:20 pm

It may be worth asking. Ant killers can remain effective for anywhere from a few weeks to twelve months before they’re affected by runoff and decomposition.

Topic author
AutumnFalls

Post by AutumnFalls » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:39 pm

I'm not sure if I could find out, to be honest. The ant spraying was done shortly after we had a horrific storm that broke windows and took off siding so my landlady has a lot on her plate and likely wouldn't remember if they told her what kind of pesticide it was.

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:08 am

In that case I would probably hold off on foraging in that area.