Raising Tadpoles

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

Topic author
FJrocks003

Raising Tadpoles

Post by FJrocks003 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:59 am

Right now I've been watching all the little kids on my street. Because of schools being out and me being to young to get a real job (well unless you count cashier at a fast food restaurant, but who would want to do that?) I offered to help out. After like a month I have 10 7 year olds at my house and I've run out of ideas. One of my friends suggested raising tadpoles. Of course this sounded like a great idea (hence the current zoo in my bedroom) but one problem, how to do it. I don't want them to all die (that would make the kids very upset) and I want the kids to be able to participate as much as possible. Does anyone here have any experience with this? How should I set up a tank (I have a 2.5 gallon set aside and I 5 gallon available if necessary)? What to feed them? How to clean the tank? Should I order them online or collect them from the wild (we have a local pond practically overflowing with them)?
Indigo, Fleck, Flame, Dilly, and our newest addition: Thunder
RIP: Bubbles (passed on Wednesday March 31, 2020)

Overmountain1

Re: Raising Tadpoles

Post by Overmountain1 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:46 pm

I raised some once when I was around that age. As I recall, basically treat them and feed them as you would fish/turtles. They fall sorta in between that for care. Once they start growing legs, you will need a way for them to get onto land, I know there are a lot of options for ramps and tfloating things too for turtles. Might check that out, or make your own with a rock etc; Obvs after that they become a frog w a frog’s needs- we released mine once their front legs were mostly in and I think one or two lost their tail, I think that was when we took them back to the river.
I’m no expert, for certain, but i hope that helps even a little! And good for you helping all the parents out- if only I had a place to send mine sometimes! I have only been alone in my own home once since March. For a couple hours. That is all. Ridiculousness. Anyway! Good luck to you and the kiddos; I know for sure they like brackish water, but a little stone bubbler never hurts either!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
FJrocks003

Post by FJrocks003 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:26 pm

We set up a tank today, 2.5 gallon with 26 tadpoles. We used mud from around the pond, sand, and gravel as substrate, then we planted some water plants and grasses underwater, next we added the water (dechlorinated tap mixed with water from the pond), and finally a few pieces of driftwood and bark on the top for when they grow legs. A few of them have back legs but none have front. I've been feeding them a mix of boiled lettuce, calcium supplement, fish food, and blood worms. Fingers crossed that it turns out okay.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:09 pm

You're going to kill them, probably in a couple of days. Amphibians need extremely clean water. Do you even know what the nitrogen cycle is for an aquarium? They are going to be poisoned to death by their own waste and rotting debris.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:17 pm

No shame in working fast food. It's great work experience, and you learn valuable skills for working with the public, handling money, problems solving, and time management.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
FJrocks003

Post by FJrocks003 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:13 am

wodesorel wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:09 pm
You're going to kill them, probably in a couple of days. Amphibians need extremely clean water. Do you even know what the nitrogen cycle is for an aquarium? They are going to be poisoned to death by their own waste and rotting debris.
I do know about the nitrogen cycle (I have kept a few aquarium fish) and I've been doing my best to keep the tank clean. The place I got them from was a drainage pond so I doubt it was any cleaner than my tank. Because the tank is so small, a 20% water change daily isn't too hard and I'm still spot cleaning. Unfortunately, the smallest filter size size that I could find was for a 5-10 gallon tank so it would create way to much of a current in the 2.5 gallon to be worth using, the plants should be helping with filtration. Is this enough to keep it clean? I obviously don't want to hurt the tadpoles, but I'm still new at this so if there is anything else that I should be doing advice is much appreciated.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:30 am

When I raised tadpoles with my son years ago, I changed the water on a daily basis. We only had 5 though. Don't you think 26 in a 2.5 gallon is a bit much? Your water probably gets dirty real quick.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:37 pm

curlysister wrote:No shame in working fast food. It's great work experience, and you learn valuable skills for working with the public, handling money, problems solving, and time management.
Agreed. Current retail worker of 6 years, it's demanding but I've learnt valuable skills and lessons through work that I think has prepared me for any jobs I'll obtain in the future. :)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies