new lid

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
crabs_lex

new lid

Post by crabs_lex » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:32 pm

i am currently in search of a new tank lid for a 55 gal
i currently have a mesh lid and use wet paper towels for humidity reasons
if i get a new lid will that keep the humidity in like the paper towels are doing now?
i’m mostly looking for a new lid because i want to able to use my air conditioner at night and the tat gets too cold
but i don’t know anything about lids so what do i buy and where do i buy it thanks :)

CrabbyLover77

Re: new lid

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:45 pm

I love glass aquarium tops. I got mine at That Pet Place for my 55 gal, but it's out of stock now:

https://www.thatpetplace.com/marineland ... -48in-13in

I checked on Amazon, and if you order 2 of these tops, it should fit your 55 gal (if you have a center brace):

https://smile.amazon.com/H2Pro-Canopy-5 ... ***&sr=8-3

I never have an issue with humidity anymore. My hygrometer always reads 99% in my main and iso tank with glass lids.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My Pets: 2 Pomeranians, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 13 hermit crabs.
"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Topic author
crabs_lex

Post by crabs_lex » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:28 am

thanks!

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:36 am

Yw!

My Pets: 2 Pomeranians, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 13 hermit crabs.
"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-

Topic author
crabs_lex

Post by crabs_lex » Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:57 pm

does anyone here use like one of those hood lids with a light? i was looking for a either a class one (like listed above) and something with a light

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:27 pm

I'm not sure if the plastic hoods would hold moisture as well. The plastic flip lids are also pretty light, so you'd have to be sure to put something heavy on each one to make sure the crabs couldn't push them open (I still do this even with my glass lids). I've had many fish aquariums over the years, so I already had a strip light for a 55 gal. You can see it in the pic I attached. If you decided to, you can by the glass lids and strip light separate. If you go on Amazon and search "aquarium strip lights", they have all kinds of neat ones out now. Like ones that have remotes and can change color and what not. You can also purchase two regular 24" strip lights to accommodate each side of the aquarium, if you can't find a 48" strip light.

This light is a little expensive, but looks fun lol:

https://smile.amazon.com/COODIA-Aquariu ... 364d0f.jpg[/IMG]

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:17 pm

I love glass lids, and then I use a uvb light, but to each's own. You can also use an led light if you wish. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:40 pm

GotButterflies wrote:I love glass lids, and then I use a uvb light, but to each's own. You can also use an led light if you wish. :)
Hey GB! Image

Just wanted to let you know that glass filters out almost all uvb rays. So if you want to spend a little less money on bulbs, you could probably just buy a regular one. Image

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:39 pm

CrabbyLover77 wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:40 pm
Hey GB! Image

Just wanted to let you know that glass filters out almost all uvb rays. So if you want to spend a little less money on bulbs, you could probably just buy a regular one. Image

I know that is what they say...however I purchase high output (HO bulbs) and I replace them every 6 months. I have a card that shows UV rays. It shows me that the UV rays does come through the glass. Perhaps it depends on the bulb. Some people place their lights on the inside of their tanks (you can purchase under cabinet lighting for this), but I do not.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:43 pm

GotButterflies wrote:
I know that is what they say...however I purchase high output (HO bulbs) and I replace them every 6 months. I have a card that shows UV rays. It shows me that the UV rays does come through the glass. Perhaps it depends on the bulb. Some people place their lights on the inside of their tanks (you can purchase under cabinet lighting for this), but I do not.
That's cool! I've never tried uvb bulbs over glass, just going by the info that I've read. I use uvb bulbs for my tortoise, but there is only a wide metal grate on top. I replace mine every 6 months too. What brand do you use? I currently use Zoo Med bulbs, but If there's something better out there I wouldn't mind checking it out. Thanks!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:52 pm

CrabbyLover77 wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:43 pm
That's cool! I've never tried uvb bulbs over glass, just going by the info that I've read. I use uvb bulbs for my tortoise, but there is only a wide metal grate on top. I replace mine every 6 months too. What brand do you use? I currently use Zoo Med bulbs, but If there's something better out there I would check it out. Thanks!

I use Zoo Med t5 HO lights :)

For your tortoise I HIGHLY recommend Mega Ray Mercury Vapor Bulbs! That is what I use for my Box Turtle. I keep my Box Turtle inside, and I purchased the Zoo Med tortoise house for her, took out the middle partition, layered it with a thick shower curtain, and she loves it. :)

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:04 pm

GotButterflies wrote: I use Zoo Med t5 HO lights :)

For your tortoise I HIGHLY recommend Mega Ray Mercury Vapor Bulbs! That is what I use for my Box Turtle. I keep my Box Turtle inside, and I purchased the Zoo Med tortoise house for her, took out the middle partition, layered it with a thick shower curtain, and she loves it. :)
Thanks!! I currently use the 10.0 ZM bulb for my tortoise. I've never tried mercury bulbs before. I have the tortoise houses too! I bought 2 of them, took out the center, and used a plastic liner to protect the bottom. Sounds like our setups are similar. Image Thanks again!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:09 pm

CrabbyLover77 wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:04 pm
Thanks!! I currently use the 10.0 ZM bulb for my tortoise. I've never tried mercury bulbs before. I have the tortoise houses too! I bought 2 of them, took out the center, and used a plastic liner to protect the bottom. Sounds like our setups are similar. Image Thanks again!

That is awesome! Did you connect the two? My box turtle is 3 years old and is about the size of my fist, so she isn't very big. Luckily she will stay small :)

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:32 pm

GotButterflies wrote:
That is awesome! Did you connect the two? My box turtle is 3 years old and is about the size of my fist, so she isn't very big. Luckily she will stay small :)
Yep, they are connected! So her enclosure is 6'x2'. Not sure how big she is, but she weighs 2 lbs 7 oz. I get her out to play in her room or outside for a couple of hours a couple times a week.
Your turtle sounds so cute! I'm estimating mine at about 13 yrs old. Wish our shelled friends could meet. Image

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:00 am

CrabbyLover77 wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:32 pm
Yep, they are connected! So her enclosure is 6'x2'. Not sure how big she is, but she weighs 2 lbs 7 oz. I get her out to play in her room or outside for a couple of hours a couple times a week.
Your turtle sounds so cute! I'm estimating mine at about 13 yrs old. Wish our shelled friends could meet. Image

Very cool!!