new heater

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
crabs_lex

new heater

Post by crabs_lex » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:05 pm

i just got a new heater for my 55 gal (ultratherm) and i saw that you can insulate some heaters if it is safe to do so can i insulate this heater? and any other advice on setting it up? thank youu

doth

Re: new heater

Post by doth » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:27 pm

crabs_lex wrote:i just got a new heater for my 55 gal (ultratherm) and i saw that you can insulate some heaters if it is safe to do so can i insulate this heater? and any other advice on setting it up? thank youu
Hi,
I insulate mine with aluminum foil but I think others have used cardboard or foam so maybe someone else can chime in.

Put it on the back wall of the tank (or side if it fits) and make sure it is at least partially above the substrate. after you set it up you can tape the aluminum foil over it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Topic author
crabs_lex

Post by crabs_lex » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:26 pm

great thank you!!

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:03 pm

Be sure you have an UTH that can be insulated since some run the risk of overheating if insulated and can cause a fire.

There are a million and one ways to insulate a UTH. Doth mentioned two of the easiest DIY methods with stuff you can find around the house. You can even use car window shades from The Dollar Tree and cut them to fit! Reflectex is another great option, similar to the car window shade. Reminds me of a bubble wrapped in aluminum foil.

Here's a guide Fleabag helped me make early last year on setting up an UTH on a 55 gallon!
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=119297
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:44 pm

If you have an ultratherm, you can try to insulate over your heating pad and tank to raise the temperature of your tank. There are several ways to do this. Don't insulate over your heating pad if it is a zoomed, or any other heating pad that is insulated (padded). If your heating pad is insulated, you would insulate AROUND the heating pad.

Cheaper way: You can use aluminum foil (shiny part facing the crabitat), then cardboard. Attach using packaging tape, duct tape or Reflectix tape.

More expensive: Purchase a product called Reflectix. This product looks like car shade material. It is sold in rolls at local hardware stores like Lowes and Home Depot. You can also purchase it on Amazon. Cut the Reflectix to fit your tank. Attach using packaging tape, duct tape or Reflectix tape.

It can take several hours to see the difference. If doing the insulation doesn't raise your temperature, you might want to consider getting a bigger and or better heater. Most of us use ultratherms. They are great heaters. www.reptilebasics.com or www.beanfarm.com sells them.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:39 pm

Sorry to hijack this thread, but my question relates to this.
At the end of last winter, I was having trouble keeping the temp up to 75 overnight (just by a degree or two). So I would run a space heater before bed for about 20 mins, shut it off, and shut the door. That would help. But I don't feel like doing that so I'm going to grab an Ultratherm on Reptilebasics.com (it's cheapest there).
My question is, do I have to insulate the heater if it gets my tank to the desired temp without insulation?
Thanks!!
PS- Thank you Fleabag for the great written uth tutorial.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:44 pm

PS- Is there a specific thermostat that anyone would recommend? I was looking at this one on Amazon:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01I15 ... 9VPR&psc=1

Thanks!

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:52 pm

CrabbyLover77 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:44 pm
PS- Is there a specific thermostat that anyone would recommend? I was looking at this one on Amazon:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01I15 ... 9VPR&psc=1

Thanks!

That one is fine!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:55 pm

CrabbyLover77 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:39 pm
Sorry to hijack this thread, but my question relates to this.
At the end of last winter, I was having trouble keeping the temp up to 75 overnight (just by a degree or two). So I would run a space heater before bed for about 20 mins, shut it off, and shut the door. That would help. But I don't feel like doing that so I'm going to grab an Ultratherm on Reptilebasics.com (it's cheapest there).
My question is, do I have to insulate the heater if it gets my tank to the desired temp without insulation?
Thanks!!
PS- Thank you Fleabag for the great written uth tutorial. Image

The deal with insulation - is it will extend the life of your heater, causing your heater to not have to work as hard. So - it's up to you. I take my insulation off during the summer hours, and put it back up during winter. I personally use Reflectix, so it rolls up and I store it in the closet.

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:49 pm

GotButterflies wrote: The deal with insulation - is it will extend the life of your heater, causing your heater to not have to work as hard. So - it's up to you. I take my insulation off during the summer hours, and put it back up during winter. I personally use Reflectix, so it rolls up and I store it in the closet.
Thanks GB! I did order that thermostat, so I'm glad it's ok. Image My uth comes tomorrow and the thermostat comes Sat.

I'll def insulate the heater then. I have aluminum foil that is precut into sheets. That would be ok for insulation right?

I got the 6"x47" Ultratherm for $30 on Reptilebasics.com. It was going for $60 on Amazon (sold by The Bean Farm)! Image

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:56 pm

CrabbyLover77 wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:49 pm
Thanks GB! I did order that thermostat, so I'm glad it's ok. Image My uth comes tomorrow and the thermostat comes Sat.

I'll def insulate the heater then. I have aluminum foil that is precut into sheets. That would be ok for insulation right?

I got the 6"x47" Ultratherm for $30 on Reptilebasics.com. It was going for $60 on Amazon (sold by The Bean Farm)! Image

Yes! :) Aluminum foil is fine! You can then use cardboard behind the aluminum foil (cut up amazon boxes/other mailing boxes) That will help with the insulation. :)

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:28 pm

GotButterflies wrote: Yes! :) Aluminum foil is fine! You can then use cardboard behind the aluminum foil (cut up amazon boxes/other mailing boxes) That will help with the insulation. :)
Thanks so much! You're always so helpful! Image

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:18 am

CrabbyLover77 wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:28 pm
Thanks so much! You're always so helpful! Image

My pleasure! :)

Topic author
crabs_lex

Post by crabs_lex » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:17 pm

i have the tank insulated (ultratherm and reflectix) and without the heater the room is like 60° and it’s currently 80° in the tank so how long should i keep the heater plugged in for?

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:32 pm

crabs_lex wrote:i have the tank insulated (ultratherm and reflectix) and without the heater the room is like 60° and it’s currently 80° in the tank so how long should i keep the heater plugged in for?
Do you have a thermostat hooked to the uth? You can set the desired temp on the thermostat, say 80°, and the thermostat will automatically shut the uth off when it reaches the set temp. That way you don't have to plug and unplug the heater.
I'd give you the link to for the one I bought, unfortunately I think it's defective. I set my desired temp to 78 for the day. I went to check on the tank after a few hours and the temp had dropped to 76, but the thermostat didn't kick the uth on. Looks like Amazon will be getting that back!