Where to buy crabs

For topics on hermit crab related stores, and member reviews of them. Also for asking where to find an item. Retailers, please read the sticky regarding our rules before posting!

Topic author
hermitsrus1966

Where to buy crabs

Post by hermitsrus1966 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:28 am

I have been dying to get 1 or two of a species other than PPs. I love PPs but it would be breath taking to actually have another species, I always stare in awe at everyone elses pictures of strawberrys, brevis, aussies, etc. Its not fair, lol. I have been watching the adoption page on here for a year and have tried multiple times but I am either not close enough or the person just doesn't respond. Just wondering where everyone else got their exotics?

Motörcrab

Re: Where to buy crabs

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:40 pm

They are very difficult to find. Most pet store will get shipments of E's and they have no idea they are a different species. A family run store near us will randomly get a shipment of E's once a year. They were upset because they ordered "fancy" crabs in painted shells and got E's in natural shells instead. They didn't have a clue.

The exotics are really hard to find since they are purchased and shipped from overseas. It's really tough to say what stores will have them, I doubt big chains like PetSmart or Petco.

Adopting them is a lot more difficult since they are in higher demand than PP's or E's. I managed to rescue one Strawberry on here about two years ago. About an hour away too.
Riniky managed to rescue some Violas and Strawberries as well. I don't think she found them on here.
They do come up from time to time, you just have to be lucky.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities